Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jo Jo is offline

Default Comments won't print in Word 2007

This is driving me nuts. When I print the document, the comments suddenly
won't print unless I fiddle with the settings, and yet there doesn't seem to
be anything that's actually changed. It's almost like a superstitious ritual
that Word needs me to go through.

I have the Review settings to "Final Showing Markup," and below that "Show
Markup" is set to all items and all reviewers, and below that "Reviewing
Pane" is not selected (meaning it displays the comments in balloons at the
side). The Balloons setting is set to show only comments and formatting.
Track Changes is OFF.

When I start to print it, it shows the comments as a highlighted with the
comment number next to it, but it won't print the comment balloon/text at the
side. However, it does print the space at the right side that would hold the
comment; it's just that it's blank except for the usual greyed-out shading.

The ritual I go through that somehow resets it is:
- I print on paper and see that it's not printing the comments.
- I try printing to a file (using a PDF-printing utility), which usually
doesn't work the first time.
- Then I try unsetting and resetting the Review settings (mentioned above).
- I try printing to file again and it usually prints okay then.
- I try printing to paper and see that it still doesn't work.
- Then I try printing just one page on which there's a comment, and often
that works, although sometimes I have to go back and fiddle with the previous
attempts again.
- Once I have it printing to paper okay for the one page, I print the whole
document and it's usually okay.

None of this seems to work the same way twice, but there's something to this
sequence that finally somehow works. The settings that are in effect when it
finally prints correctly are no different than when I try to print the first
time when it doesn't work.

The weird thing is that I never saw this happen until one day I wanted to
print the document without the comments and I changed the top Review setting
to "Final." Since then, even though that setting has been at "Final Showing
Markup" I've had the problem.

This is driving me mad. If someone could please help me figure this out, I
would really appreciate it. It's creating so much more time to print out
documents when I have to fiddle with it like this, and I usually print these
kinds of commented documents only just before a meeting, which is maddening
with the time crunch it creates! Thanks very much in advance for help with
this.

Jo.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Comments won't print in Word 2007

Hi Jo,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble printing comments in Word 2007. It sounds like a frustrating issue, but I'm here to help you resolve it.

Firstly, it's good to know that you have the Review settings set to "Final Showing Markup" and "Show Markup" set to all items and all reviewers. However, there are a few more things you can try to fix the problem.
  1. Check the Print settings: Go to File Print and make sure that "Print All Pages" is selected. Also, check the "Print Markup" option under "Settings" and make sure that "Comments" is selected.
  2. Check the Page Setup: Go to Page Layout Page Setup and click on the "Layout" tab. Make sure that the "Comments" option is selected under "Print."
  3. Update your printer driver: Sometimes, outdated printer drivers can cause issues with printing. Try updating your printer driver to the latest version and see if that helps.
  4. Try printing to a different printer: If you have access to another printer, try printing the document to that printer and see if the comments print correctly.
  5. Save the document as a PDF: If all else fails, you can try saving the document as a PDF and then printing the PDF. To do this, go to File Save As and select "PDF" from the "Save as type" dropdown menu.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
pittipat pittipat is offline
Junior Member

Have you checked the "track changes" option in "review" pane? I was having same problem, finally noticed that "track changes" was turned off. It would print changes in document and placeholders for comments, but not comments themselves. Turned on track changes and bingo -- back to printing comments in margins.

Cheers,
pittipat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo View Post
[...]

Smokeyham Smokeyham is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo View Post
When I start to print it, it shows the comments as a highlighted with the
comment number next to it, but it won't print the comment balloon/text at the side. However, it does print the space at the right side that would hold the comment; it's just that it's blank except for the usual greyed-out shading.

Jo.
I am having the same problem. I have tried printing with Track Changes both turned on, and turned off.

Since this happens with all documents where I have comments inserted, so it is not just an issue with one document.

I suspect the issue is in the settings in "Word Options" but can't find anything there which solves it.
grandmasterbirch grandmasterbirch is offline
Junior Member

I had exactly the same problem (and it was also driving me mad), but I think I've found the solution.

Click the Word button in the top left corner, then Word OptionsDisplay. Beneath the subheading Printing Options make sure that the second check box is ticked: "Print Background Colors [sic] and Images".

The comments should then print rather than just getting the blank grey markup area.

Hope this saves people some time and frustration!