Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nich Nich is offline

Default Too many letters in Mail merge

I use an Access front end with a SQL back end, linking tables through ODBC.
When I run a query in Access it lists 50 records. When I link the query to a
Word document, I get 60 letters. Why would the query behave differently when
linked to Word? I am using Office 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you getting duplicates of some of the records or do the additional ten
records contain data that is different from the 50 that you see when you
open the query in Access. If you change the Access query to a Make Table
Query, I assume that it will only contain the 50 records. If so, use that
table as your data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Nich" wrote in message
I use an Access front end with a SQL back end, linking tables through ODBC.
When I run a query in Access it lists 50 records. When I link the query
to a
Word document, I get 60 letters. Why would the query behave differently
when
linked to Word? I am using Office 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nich Nich is offline

Changing it it to a MakeTable query solved the problem. I'm still curious
about what's going on. The records are additional records, not duplicates.
The query, in Access, correctly displays records with a specific creation
date that do not have a specific category code. The letter, when linked with
the query, includes all records with the creation date regardless of the
category code. Is there an issue with exclusionary logic?

"Nich" wrote in message
I use an Access front end with a SQL back end, linking tables through ODBC.
When I run a query in Access it lists 50 records. When I link the query
to a
Word document, I get 60 letters. Why would the query behave differently
when
linked to Word? I am using Office 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There can be situations in which queries do not work as expected - e.g.
see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302968 for a rather old example and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824169 for a more recent one. Precisely
what is happening in your situation I don't know.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk