Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carol Carol is offline

Default Word07 displays merged date from Excel as serial

I've been reading through the various posts related to this problem, and I'm
thinking the merge is delivering my dates from Excel as text since I have a
few header lines at the top of the source file (I've tried the formatting
commands in Word to no avail). The only field code options enabled are for
text -- uppercase, lowercase, etc.

I was just converted to Office 07 so I'm still fumbling around, and I
haven't figured out how to force the date in as a number (saw the menu path &
info for Word03).

I also checked out macropod's massive zip file of date conversions to try
and calculate the mm/dd/yy in Word from the text I have, but I don't see any
actual code lines in each section of the file, just description. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I also checked out macropod's massive zip file of date conversions to
try
and calculate the mm/dd/yy in Word from the text I have, but I don't

see any
actual code lines in each section of the file, just description. Help?

As with all field stuff, if you use Alt-F9 to toggle field code/field
result display you should see the field codes macropod uses. There is
also some VBA macro code if you open up the VBA editor.

I've been reading through the various posts related to this problem,

and I'm
thinking the merge is delivering my dates from Excel as text since I

have a
few header lines at the top of the source file (I've tried the

formatting
commands in Word to no avail). The only field code options enabled

are for
text -- uppercase, lowercase, etc.

If you have cells above your date cells that do not contain dates, you
may well end up with the dates coming across as numbers. AIUI in that
case, you can use macropod's field to convert them to dates. Another
possibility might be (not sure, and it depends on whether you are adding
rows to your data) to insert a heading row immediately above your data,
insert a range name that "covers" tha row plus the data rows, then use
that as the data sourc. Trouble is that the range name will not
necessarily grow/shrink automatically as you add/remove data rows.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk