Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ardmore ardmore is offline

Default Word failed to start correctly last time

Hello, I am using office 2007 and get the error below.
I tried to find normal.dot but nothing found.
Only normal.dotm found, deleted it but still failed.

Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode will
help you correct or isolate a startup problem to successfully start the
program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?

Thanks for your help.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word failed to start correctly last time

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble starting Word. It's great that you've already tried deleting the normal.dotm file, but there are a few other things you can try to resolve this issue.

First, let's try starting Word in safe mode as suggested by the error message. Here's how to do it:
  1. Close all instances of Word.
  2. Press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
  3. Click on the Word icon to open it.
  4. Keep holding the Ctrl key until you see a message asking if you want to start Word in safe mode.
  5. Click "Yes" to start Word in safe mode.

If Word starts successfully in safe mode, it's likely that there's an add-in or customization that's causing the issue. You can try disabling add-ins or removing customizations to see if that resolves the problem.

If Word still fails to start in safe mode, there may be a problem with your installation of Office. You can try repairing the installation to see if that helps. Here's how:
  1. Close all instances of Word.
  2. Open the Control Panel.
  3. Click on "Programs and Features" (or "Add or Remove Programs" depending on your version of Windows).
  4. Find Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs and click on it.
  5. Click "Change" (or "Repair" depending on your version of Office).
  6. Follow the prompts to repair the installation.

If none of these steps work, you may need to uninstall and reinstall Office. Be sure to back up any important documents before doing so.

I hope this helps you get Word up and running again!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no normal.dot in Word 2007 - the normal template is normal.dotm,
which is not the only cause of a failed start. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.
What happens if you simply answer no to the prompt?

ardmore wrote:
Hello, I am using office 2007 and get the error below.
I tried to find normal.dot but nothing found.
Only normal.dotm found, deleted it but still failed.

Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode
will help you correct or isolate a startup problem to successfully
start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ardmore ardmore is offline

If I click no, the word restarts and the message pops up again.
I followed you web page's instructions but I can't delete all temp files
because windows disallowed for deleting some files.

What should I do?

Thanks

ardmore wrote:
Hello, I am using office 2007 and get the error below.
I tried to find normal.dot but nothing found.
Only normal.dotm found, deleted it but still failed.

Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode
will help you correct or isolate a startup problem to successfully
start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If all instances of Word are closed (check by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and look
for winword.exe) then you should be able to delete all relevant temporary
files. If in doubt reboot first. Leave the ones in the temp folder that
Windows has locked.

With that out of the way it is the second link that provides the
troubleshooting information. Work through the tips provided, with particular
reference to add-ins and the data key in the registry.

ardmore wrote:
Hello, I am using office 2007 and get the error below.
I tried to find normal.dot but nothing found.
Only normal.dotm found, deleted it but still failed.

Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode
will help you correct or isolate a startup problem to successfully
start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ardmore ardmore is offline

I found files ~$werword.dot and deleted them.
Do I have to clean the registry.

Thanks

ardmore wrote:
Hello, I am using office 2007 and get the error below.
I tried to find normal.dot but nothing found.
Only normal.dotm found, deleted it but still failed.

Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode
will help you correct or isolate a startup problem to successfully
start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have removed the temporary files, attended to the issues raised at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm, re-installed
the printer driver and repaired the Office installation from the original
installation disc, you should be in the same position as when you first
installed Office.

ardmore wrote:
Not yet fixed it.