Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

Default close a page NOT the program in Word 2007

1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about setting the ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link it took me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . . though one could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close down the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot work on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most annoying
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

You do this in Word 2007 almost the same way as in earlier versions of Word:
Click on the orb and select Close. (In earlier versions of Word: Click on
File and select Close.)

Daddy

"svanesca" wrote in message
1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about setting the
ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link it took
me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . . though one
could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close down
the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot work on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most annoying

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

Thank you for your reply.
Once again I find Word 2007 far more complicated ... 2 clicks instead of the
1 in previous versions.

"svanesca" wrote in message
1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about setting the
ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link it took
me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . . though one
could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close down
the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot work on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most annoying

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"svanesca" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply.
Once again I find Word 2007 far more complicated ... 2 clicks instead of
the
1 in previous versions.

Right-click on "close" and choose Add to Quick Access Toolbar.

There - one click instead of two!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Two other thoughts;

One Click: Office Button Word Options - Advanced, clear the check on "Show
all windows in the Taskbar". That will give you the familiar X on the Menu
Bar, which is what you're accustomed to looking for in the past.

No Clicks: Use Control+W to close the current document window.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/22/09 5:23 PM, in article
, "svanesca"

"svanesca" wrote in message
1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about setting the
ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link it took
me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . . though one
could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close down
the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot work on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most annoying

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

Thank you for all your replies ! I am very grateful for your imput. . . and
have taken CyberTaz's advice to bring back the familia X -- Thanks!

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a cat! g

Terry Farrell

.. .

"svanesca" wrote in message
1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about setting the
ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link it
took
me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . . though one
could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close down
the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot work
on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most
annoying

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

. . . having tried the idea of reinstating the familiar X to the top right
hand corner . . . why should this be at the expense of losing the documents
on show in the taskbar?
.. . . instead I elected to put the 'close window' on the quick access
toolbar. . . BUT it does nothing - it is greyed out and inaccessible - any
ideas why this is so?
I should be grateful for any thoughts on the matter

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a cat! g

Terry Farrell

.. .

"svanesca" wrote in message
1. I never was able to read the reply to my question about setting the
ruler
to inches... (sent to my email- and although I clicked on the link it
took
me
nowhere!) and never found the answer inthis forum either . . though one
could
die of waiting I eventually tracked down the instruction... in the help

my question now is:
How can I close the page I am working on.. without having to close down
the
whole program? . . . it does seem a little crazy that I cannot work
on a
document and then simply close it but that when I wish to start a new
document I have to open up the whole program again ! it is most
annoying

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

.. . . oh yes! several
.. . . even assigned them with a name . . . to see if that was the problem .
.. .
still no joy . . . any other thoughts??

Thank you for your reply

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a cat!

Terry Farrell

.. .

"svanesca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Very strange. What happens if you start Word in Safe Mode? From Start | Run
(Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press enter. Open a doc and see if the Close button is active now.

Terry

"svanesca" wrote in message
news
. . . oh yes! several
. . . even assigned them with a name . . . to see if that was the problem
.
. .

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a
cat!

Terry Farrell

.. .

"svanesca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

I realise that having followed the steps to obtain the X "Close Window" in
the top right corner of my screen, and then assigning it to the Quick Access
Toolbar . . . then returning to the Word Options and re-checking the "show
all windows in the taskbar€ť disables the function from working in the QAT . .
.. can anyone tell me how to reassign a working "Close Window" X in the QAT.
Thank you for your help.

I really am highly disappointed with Office 2007 [a newbie to this version -
I've had it less than a week] and I do not find it in the least bit intuitive
.. . . it is a steep learning curve and an absolute pain!

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a cat!

Terry Farrell

.. .

"svanesca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Not without losing the Windows in the Taskbar option. You just have to use
one of the many keyboard shortcuts, assign your own keyboard shortcut or add
the Close command button to the QAT. Maybe in W2010 you will get your
solution.

Terry

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a
cat!

Terry Farrell

.. .

"Daddy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

In the time you've spent arguing this minor point, I could have closed
hundreds of documents with two clicks. Nothing is perfect and life is short.
Time to move on.

Daddy

"svanesca" wrote in message
I realise that having followed the steps to obtain the X "Close Window" in
the top right corner of my screen, and then assigning it to the Quick
Access
Toolbar . . . then returning to the Word Options and re-checking the "show
all windows in the taskbar" disables the function from working in the QAT
. .

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a
cat!

Terry Farrell

.. .

"Daddy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Daddy" wrote in message
In the time you've spent arguing this minor point, I could have closed
hundreds of documents with two clicks. Nothing is perfect and life is
short. Time to move on.

I have to say I agree with you - what can anyone do in the time it takes to
make two clicks instead of one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:32:53 +0100, Gordon wrote:

I have to say I agree with you - what can anyone do in the time it takes to
make two clicks instead of one?

One more click?
--
Cheers
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
svanesca svanesca is offline

Thank you for your time and the help you have offered !
Extraordinary, but this function actually exists in Excel - so why not for
Word ?

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As with most actions in Word, there's always nine ways to skin a
cat!

Terry Farrell

.. .