Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
VeryConfused VeryConfused is offline

Default restart numbering Word 2007

I know this has been addressed many times previously but I can't apply other
people's answers to my situation and also to Word 2007 version.

I am trying to set up four levels: 1. / 1.1 / (a) and (i).

Level 1 works fine but the other levels don't number consecutively ie 1.1,
1.1, 1.1 / (a), (a), (a) etc.

At Level 1, I've right-clicked and selected "Adjust List Levels" to bring up
the multi level box and my Level 1 multilevel list is as follows:

Enter formatting for number: 1.
Number style for this level: (1, 2, 3)
Link level to style: Heading 1
Start at 1

Level 2 is as follows:
Enter formatting for number: 1.1
Number style for this level: (none) - NOTE: I can't select anything else
because there isn't the format that I want ie (1.1), (1.2) etc - is this
where the problem is??
Link level to style: Heading 2
Start at: - blanked out - is this right?

Level 3 is as follows:
Enter formatting for number: (a)
Number style for this level: (none) - AGAIN see notes above.
Link level to style: Heading 3
Start at 1 - blanked out.

For each of the above I have ticked the box "Restart list after" (except for
Level 1) so that for Level 2 I have selected Level 1 and for Level 3 I have
selected Level 2.

I have read Shauna Kelly's article which has gotten me this far but there
were a few things I needed broken further down with actual examples.

I'd appreciate a step by step response if possible!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make sure that you have in fact set up numbering as an outline (a
multilevel) list; then the restarts should work properly. Here's how to do
that in Word 2007: Place the insertion point in the first level 1 paragraph
of your list. In this case, you would place the insertion point in the first
Heading 1 paragraph of your document. On the Home tab, click Multilevel
List, and then click Define New Multilevel List. Word displays a dialog box
similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word 97-2003. Make
sure that you attach styles to list levels, choose the correct formats, add
punctuation as well as higher level numbering (where appropriate). Also
specify the desired restarts (if necessary).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"VeryConfused" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
VeryConfused VeryConfused is offline

Hi Stefan,

Next to each level I have "attached" Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 etc so
I believe I have attached headings/styles to my levels.

Do I need to put anything in the "number style for this level / include
level no from" fields in the "Define New Multilevel List"? The "enter
formatting for number" field seems like it's automated for the first level ie
1. but it seems "manual" for the rest because I have done that myself which
is why I think it's not working properly.

For eg, Level 2 I want it to be 1.1 but in the "number style for this level"
there is no "matching style" - it only has I, II, III etc. It also doesn't
have (a), (b) etc which is how I want my Level 3 to be.

Have I entered it all correctly as set out in my initial email?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In the "Enter formatting for number" box you type in any static text,
including punctuation. To add the number for the selected numbering level,
use "Number style for this level." To add one or more previous levels, use
"Include level number from" (it seems as if you only need this for level 2,
for which you should add level 1 to the "Enter formatting for number" box).

You should also verify the "Restart list after" settings so that the list
restarts are the way you want them.

When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.