Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BruceM via OfficeKB.com BruceM via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Absolute, not relative links to LAN

Word 2003 SP3, Windows XP

When I add a link to a file on the LAN, it rewrites itself in the format
(some sort of html thing, I think):
../../File%20Name
However, what I added in the hyperlink address box was \\ServerName\ShareName\
FolderName\File Name. When I hover the mouse over the link it shows as a
correct address:
file:///\\ServerName etc., but the link itself is in the garbled html format.
This seems to happen as soon as I add the link. I browse to the correct
folder and select the file, but right away it rewrites the link.

What seems to be happening is that Word regards the current location of the
file as an ephemeral thing. If I am in ServerName\ShareName\FolderName\File
Name, and I move the file to My Documents, I get as the hover information:
file:///C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\File Name
However, since the file is on the server, the link of course fails.

If the document is in My Documents (or elsewhere on my local hard drive, I
think), a link to a server location on the LAN is preserved when I move the
file to the LAN location, even if I change and save the document. However,
if the file is on a server on the LAN, and I link to another location on the
same server, the link address in the hyperlink dialog box turns to mush. I
think that's how it works from what I can figure out.

I don't know if this is a setting, feature, or bug. I did not have the
problem before some "experts" reconfigured my computer, so it could be that
they messed something up or failed to install an update or something of the
sort, or maybe it is a "feature" that I cannot figure out how to turn off. I
turned off "Update automatic links at open", and another option about
automatic links, but to no avail.

Essentially, I want to convince Word that when I add a link to a LAN location,
I mean I want that specific location and none other.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BruceM via OfficeKB.com BruceM via OfficeKB.com is offline

I have noted that the problem occurs only when browsing to a link. If it is
typed in, or if I copy it from another document, it seems to be OK.

Another point: When I first browse to the link it is inserted in partial
gibberish:
..\..\File Name

However, when I close and reopen the hyperlink dialog, it is converted to
forward slashes and %20 for spaces.

If I manually edit the link, replacing ..\..\ with the server, share, and
folder names, the link stays as I put it. It seems to rearrange itself only
when browsing to a link under the conditions mentioned in my OP.