Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney Peter  Rooney is offline

Default Word2003: Search ^P [0-9] with Use Wildcards on

I suppose I already know the answer to this: it's impossible.
I want to look for paragraphs starting with a digit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Peter Rooney" wrote:
I suppose I already know the answer to this: it's impossible.
I want to look for paragraphs starting with a digit.

Hi Peter,

Use the code -- ^13 -- for the paragraph mark:
^13[0-9]

For some stupid reason or another, ^p does not work in wildcard searches.

Regards,
Klaus
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Rooney Peter  Rooney is offline

Thanks.
The Microsoft online documentation sure isn't helpful or complete.
The escape character ( \ ) isn't documented either, as far as I can tell.
Is there perhaps a Missing Manual?

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message

"Peter Rooney" wrote:
I suppose I already know the answer to this: it's impossible.
I want to look for paragraphs starting with a digit.

Hi Peter,

Use the code -- ^13 -- for the paragraph mark: ^13[0-9]

For some stupid reason or another, ^p does not work in wildcard searches.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Peter Rooney" wrote:
Thanks.
The Microsoft online documentation sure isn't helpful or complete.
The escape character ( ^ ) isn't documented either, as far as I can tell.
Is there perhaps a Missing Manual?

I wished the help were better generally, too.

For wildcard find/replace, Graham Mayor (with Dave Rado and me) put
something together:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm

Greetings,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I would suggest the revised version at
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm maintained so that I can
keep editorial control of the page and include clarifications and updates as
they come along. Did Dave have anything to do with that article? I thought
that he had moved on long before? Your contributions however were
invaluable.