Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John A[_2_] John A[_2_] is offline

Default Word has encountered a problem

I get this message the first time I open a file in Word after Windows startup
using File/Open. If I restart Word it works OK and I don't see the error
again during that computer session.

The error does not occur if I open a file in Word using Recent Documents or
by double clicking on a file in Explorer. It only occurs on the first
File/Open

I have tried the following:
- resetting the normal.dotm file
- turning of Microsoft Security Essentials
- running winword.exe as Administrator

Any suggestions?

The text of the error message is as follows - interesting that it says I am
trying to SAVE a file - I am trying to open it!:

"There is a problem saving the file.
Usually this is because the disk or floppy disk is too small for the file or
is full, RAM memory is low, or there is a permission problem with the drive
the file is being saved to.
If the amount of disk space for a paging file is low, save the file to
another drive. If the RAM memory is low, increase available RAM. If
permissions to the drive do not allow you to save to that drive, save the
file to another drive or request permissions from the administrator to save
files to the drive.
Note: This error can also occur if the computer is running a version of
antivirus software that is not compatible with the Microsoft Office system or
needs to be updated."

Intel dual Core 6600 2.7GHz, 2,7GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium x 32, Word 2007,
MSE, 2GB, plenty of space on C:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chelle Chelle is offline

I have the exact same problem! And geeeeez!!!! this poor guy John posted this
in jan and no bloody body has even bothered to reply!!!! Can't anyone reply
please???????????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Presumably he got his answer in the Word Application Errors forum.

On Mar 28, 6:51*am, Chelle wrote:
I have the exact same problem! And geeeeez!!!! this poor guy John posted this
in jan and no bloody body has even bothered to reply!!!! Can't anyone reply
please???????????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John A[_2_] John A[_2_] is offline

I got help via microsoft on line help system, but that didn't resolve it.

I tried a few things myself and I finally resolved it by unchecking "Show
preview handlers in preview pane" in Control Panel / Folder Options / View.
There is clearly a conflict between the Word preview handler and Word. I
note that this also happens with Word 2010 beta