Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NonTechie NonTechie is offline

Default Word 2003 view doesn't show space at document top and bottom

I have Word 2003 and Windows 7. All at once, when I open a new document
(Ctrl+n) or sometimes an old existing one, the view, which is in Print
Layout, gets rid of the space at the top and the bottom of the page. I have
to "work around" and click ViewHeader and FooterClose. Then it is ok as
long as I have the document open. But when I save and close the document and
open it again, the same thing happens - the space is gone from the top and
bottom.

I don't know the correct terminology to describe this, but I hope you can
understand.

How does this happen, and how can I stop it from happening from now on?

I hate, hate, hate it when things like this happen suddenly, and the help
menu is of no help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You've discovered "Hide White Space." Put the cursor exactly between
two pages (it turns into a waffle iron) and click. (Or double-click?
It changed in Word2007.)

And open your normal.dot template (not by clicking on it -- that just
gives you a new document) and do the same thing there, and (just in
case) type something and delete it so Word knows to Save the changed
template.

On Jan 12, 10:48*pm, NonTechie
wrote:
I have Word 2003 and Windows 7. All at once, when I open a new document
(Ctrl+n) or sometimes an old existing one, the view, which is in Print
Layout, gets rid of the space at the top and the bottom of the page. I have
to "work around" and click ViewHeader and FooterClose. Then it is ok as
long as I have the document open. But when I save and close the document and
open it again, the same thing happens - the space is gone from the top and
bottom.

I don't know the correct terminology to describe this, but I hope you can
understand.

How does this happen, and how can I stop it from happening from now on?

I hate, hate, hate it when things like this happen suddenly, and the help
menu is of no help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NonTechie NonTechie is offline

Thanks, Peter. For whatever reason, I didn't have to go to normal.dot. After
the click, everything seemed to work. I closed out of Word and opened it
again and everything is fine. I don't know how the white space got hidden. I
guess my fingers are faster than my mind.

Thanks again.

.