Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Correct backward smart-quote

When I type This/"That", both double quotes (including the 1st one)
are closing quotes (presumably because the 1st one isn't preceeded by
white space). I want the curly quotes rather than straight
quotes...how do I change the first double-quote to an opening curly
quote?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

As you've guessed, what you're trying to do doesn't fit the rules built into
the AutoFormat smart-quote replacement. You'll have to correct it manually
by selecting the incorrect character and typing the correct one.

The default shortcut for an opening curly quote is Ctrl+`," (that is, press
Ctrl and the grave accent key together, release, and press the double quote
key). And if you need it, the shortcut for a closing curly quote is Ctrl+',"
(the same as for opening, but with an apostrophe instead of an accent).

These shortcuts can be changed if you like, by going through the Insert
Symbol dialog and clicking the Shortcut Key button. The character codes for
the curly quotes are 147 and 148 (ASCII decimal) or 201C and 201D (Unicode
hex).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Paul wrote:
When I type This/"That", both double quotes (including the 1st one)
are closing quotes (presumably because the 1st one isn't preceeded by
white space). I want the curly quotes rather than straight
quotes...how do I change the first double-quote to an opening curly
quote?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another common problem is nested quotes that require an opening double quote
immediately followed by an opening single quote. The keyboard shortcuts for
single quotes are similar to those for double:

Opening single: Ctrl+`, `
Closing single/apostrophe: Ctrl+', '

The apostrophe always has to be forced for words beginning with an
apostrophe.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

so all may benefit.