Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
moon4707 moon4707 is offline

Default Fixed numbered lines

Hi,

I have to type a legal document that must have fixed numbered lines along
the left margin. The numbering will run from 1 to 28. By fixed numbered
lines, I mean that the numbering does not change position with carriage
returns, i.e., the left margin numbers remain unaffected by carriage returns.
How would I make a template to do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In a text box, type the numbers in manually (each number should be followed by
Return), and then anchor the text box to the page header.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"moon4707" wrote in message
Hi,

I have to type a legal document that must have fixed numbered lines along
the left margin. The numbering will run from 1 to 28. By fixed numbered
lines, I mean that the numbering does not change position with carriage
returns, i.e., the left margin numbers remain unaffected by carriage returns.
How would I make a template to do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dan_waldo[_2_] dan_waldo[_2_] is offline

Another way to do this might be to invoke the line numbering function (page
layout / line numbering / restart each page) and then use the paragraph
formatting (in the home tab) to affect line spacing -- most particularly line
spacing itself for double space and then increasing "spacing after" to add
extra space between paragraphs.

But I may have grossly underestimated your problem, too!

"moon4707" wrote:

Hi,

I have to type a legal document that must have fixed numbered lines along
the left margin. The numbering will run from 1 to 28. By fixed numbered
lines, I mean that the numbering does not change position with carriage
returns, i.e., the left margin numbers remain unaffected by carriage returns.
How would I make a template to do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My interpretation of "fixed" numbering was that it shouldn't reflect actual
lines in the text (there used to be a Legal Pleading template that worked this
way), but I realize that your interpretation is equally likely in this case. :-)

It is always a good idea to use Spacing Before or Spacing After instead of blank
paragraphs to create spacing between paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"moon4707" wrote:

Hi,

I have to type a legal document that must have fixed numbered lines along
the left margin. The numbering will run from 1 to 28. By fixed numbered
lines, I mean that the numbering does not change position with carriage
returns, i.e., the left margin numbers remain unaffected by carriage returns.
How would I make a template to do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"moon4707" wrote:

Hi,

I have to type a legal document that must have fixed numbered lines along
the left margin. The numbering will run from 1 to 28. By fixed numbered
lines, I mean that the numbering does not change position with carriage
returns, i.e., the left margin numbers remain unaffected by carriage returns.
How would I make a template to do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Lines numbers fixed in position? Paragraphs numbers? John[_4_] New Users 3 December 12th 07 12:44 AM
Fixed number of lines per page filip Page Layout 2 September 3rd 07 03:43 PM
Outline Numbered - skipping lines Benjamin Microsoft Word Help 2 December 26th 05 08:08 PM
fixed lines in Word Hernan New Users 10 October 28th 05 12:57 AM
How to embed permanent fixed lines in a document to accept info Kellyart New Users 2 July 5th 05 07:34 PM