Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dan_waldo[_2_] dan_waldo[_2_] is offline

Default Formatting footnotes when page numbering is turned on

When I have paragraph numbering turned on, Word insists on assigning a
paragraph number to my footnotes as well as a footnote number. I can manually
delete the paragraph number, but would prefer to turn off the option.

More important, however, is that Word also assigns a paragraph number to the
line drawn across the page above the footnotes, and I cannot find a way to
remove this.

Can somebody offer me a suggestion on what to do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would appear that you have applied numbering to the Normal style, which
affects every style based on it. This is one reason we advocate using Body
Text instead of Normal for body text and not modifying Normal, but since
this is already a fait accompli, you will need to modify the Footnote Text
style not to be numbered.

http://word.mvps.org