Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

Default Outline number styles in style gallery

Hello,
I'm going through the transition from Word 2003 to 2007 and am having a
devil of a time recreating the handy outline styles that I had in customized
2003.

I want to create a multilevel list (not headings because these list items do
not belong in the TOC) as described below that also appears in the style
gallery.

Intro to numbered list. Text, not numbered. (Level 1 of scheme)
1. It's on the second level of the numbering scheme that the first
actually numbering occurs.
a. This would be the third level of the numbering scheme.
i. And this is the fourth level.

In W2003 I had a darling custom toolbar with buttons for my various styles.
Loved it! Worked like a dream. I had used Shauna Kelly's excellent
instructions for setting up outline numbering with no numbering for my first
level. Level 2 started with 1, level 3 with a, and so forth.

However, Shauna's instructins, contrary to what the intro page indicates,
seem not to be updated for W2007.

Bottom line: How do I get the discrete levels of my numbering scheme to
appear in the style gallery?

Thanks in advance,

Kimmie B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The process is really very similar in Word 2007, the principal difference
being that you can't set up an outline-numbered list from the Format Style
dialog for the Level 1 style (the Numbering dialog that you can access from
the Modify Style dialog is not the one you need). Instead, you have to
define the styles for the various levels first (everything except the
numbering and related indents), then use Define New Multilevel list to set
up the outline numbering, linking each level to the appropriate style.

If you need to change anything about any of the levels (and this is the hard
part), since there is no "Edit Multilevel List" choice, you have to select
the list you already defined and use Define New Multilevel List to get back
to it and make the changes. Once you get your head around the fact that
"Define" isn't limited to defining, you'll do fine!

http://word.mvps.org

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

Suzanne, you rock!

I found nothing in the product documentation that even suggested what you
just told me. Thank you ever so much. Where would we be without this
discussion group!

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, strictly speaking, this discussion group will turn to a pumpkin on
June 1, but you can continue to post questions at
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...ory/officeword.

http://word.mvps.org