Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amardeep Verma Amardeep Verma is offline

Default Paste Special Bitmap Image Option

I am preparing a word document which shows a series of steps to be performed
for a particular task. This document is going to consists of a series of
screen shots interspersed with text.
My question is that when i try to paste the screen shots, using paste
special, I get the following options
1) Bitmap Image Object
2) Picture (Windows Metafile)
3) Device Independent Bitmap.
All things being equal, which of these three options should i select
so that i get the least amount of document size. I don't want to bloat up
the document so that it crosses 10 MB.
I have turned off Auto Recover information saving and background
saves so as to keep the document file size to a bare minimum.

Currently the word document is of type RTF. RTF is being chosen
because this document is going to be shared with people who run open office
and other non Microsoft based office suites. I can shift to Word 97-2003,
doc format, if it can result in smaller file size but cannot use MS
Office 2007, DOCX format.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor[_4_] Graham Mayor[_4_] is offline

The size of the document will largely be determined by the size of the
graphics. Can I suggest that if you are preparing a document with screen
shots you should use SnagIt to prepare and annotate the screen shots. This
will allow you to keep tight control over the size and of course is much
simpler than trying to use the Windows Print Screen options. The trial
version is fully functional and by the time you have completed this document
you may find it difficult to work without it. There are many examples of its
use on my web site. A simple paste from the SnagIt editor is all that is
required.

I would stick with Word 97-2003 DOC format. RTF files can grow very large!

"Amardeep Verma" Amardeep wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amardeep Verma[_2_] Amardeep Verma[_2_] is offline

Dear Graham,
You are right. Initially I had created a RTF document with 15 Screen
shots, 10 pages in all. Each of the screen shot was pasted in the document as
"Picture (Windows Metafile)".
The file size had bloated to 34 MB. When I saved the file as a Word
97-2003 Document (.doc extension) the same file shrunk to about 2MB. It was
amazing.
I will have to take this word document and view its fidelity on
Linux and Open Office Software Suites. If there is not much of a fidelity
loss then maybe I will use Word 97-2003 document (.doc extension) format
from now onwards. Will let you know how it goes.

On a related note, can you please enlighten me why a RTF document
size is soo much more than a word document (doc and docx extension)?
________________________________
Have a nice day ahead of you,
Amardeep Verma

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

"Amardeep Verma" wrote in message
On a related note, can you please enlighten me why a RTF document
size is soo much more than a word document (doc and docx extension)?

It is simply a question of how the formats are created. RTF is more bulky
than DOC and DOCX is essentially a ZIP file and thus smallest of the three.