Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sherry Sherry is offline

Default How do I insert numbers after text?

I would like to type in my text in a document and then insert a number, but I
want the number to change automatically for the next text. For example, I
want to say, "Requested Charge No. 1", but I want to insert the number 1, so
when I enter my next charge I can insert the number 2.
--
Sherry Vinturella
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use SEQ fields. For example, { SEQ myseq } would produce a list of
Arabic numbers. To insert the field, you can press Ctrl+F9; Word adds field
delimiters, { }, and then type the code as shown. To create additional fields,
you can use copy and paste.

Note that SEQ fields don't update automatically. To trigger an update, you can
switch to Print Preview and then back to your favorite view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sherry" wrote in message
I would like to type in my text in a document and then insert a number, but I
want the number to change automatically for the next text. For example, I
want to say, "Requested Charge No. 1", but I want to insert the number 1, so
when I enter my next charge I can insert the number 2.
--
Sherry Vinturella

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Insert a SEQ field in each place where you want a number.

For the first one, use the Field dialog (in Word 2003 or earlier, Insert
Field Seq or in Word 2007, Insert Quick Parts Field Seq). In the
"Field codes" box in the upper right of the dialog, type in a name for your
sequence -- this can be "charge" or just a single letter, but nothing with
spaces or punctuation. (You need this because there can be multiple
different series of SEQ fields, and the name distinguishes one series from
another.)

For the other numbers after the first one, you can just copy an existing
field and paste it into the new location, or make it an AutoText or
AutoCorrect entry.

When you paste in a copy of the field, press F9 to update it to its new
value, or right-click it and choose Update Field. Or you can press Ctrl+A to
select everything and press F9, or just go to Print Preview and back.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman