Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] somani.arpita@gmail.com is offline

Default hyperlink character limit

Hi When I opted for second option to update field code and pasted the URL , it says Error! Hyperlink reference not valid, I pasted the URL in double quotes only.

Thanks,
Arpita

On Wednesday, 14 July 2004 00:18:28 UTC+5:30, Jay Freedman wrote:
Hi mino'aka,

It appears that the limitation is in the interaction between the clipboard
and the URL box in the Create Hyperlink dialog -- it is *not* a limitation
of the hyperlink field itself or of the dialog.

There are two ways to work around it:

- If you have recently visited the page in your browser, use the Browsed
Pages button in the dialog and choose the page from the list. The entire URL
will appear in the Address box and in the hyperlink.

- If you can't visit the page but you have the URL in the clipboard, first
insert the truncated hyperlink. Place the cursor in the hyperlink and press
Shift+F9 to display the field code. Replace the truncated URL in the field
code with the complete one, being careful not to remove the quotes around
it. Press F9 to update the field, which should now work.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

mino'aka wrote:
Yes, I've done it many times and it simply won't take the entire URL.
Mind you, these are really really long URLs... If I paste the URL
directly into IE it works just fine, so I know that I'm copying them
correctly. When I paste the exact same URL in the Create Hyperlink
window, or try to use it as one of the recently visited websites, it
gets cut off. I am personally using Word 2003, but the person who
brought this question to my attention is using Word 2000. I just
tried using Publisher 2003 to see if the entire URL could be pasted
in its Create Hyperlink window, but no luck so far. I just did a word
count and the max number of characters that the field takes is 258.
And the person who brought this problem to my attention has at least
10 URLs that are longer than that... it works wonderfully on all URLs
shorter than 258 characters, just not any that are longer than that.
If I even try to CTRL-click to follow the link after it's already
been automatically hyperlinked in Word 2003 I get an error msg that
says "Unable to open [truncated URL]. Cannot download the information
you requested."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

"WD2000: Operating Parameter Limitations and Specifications" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211489 does not state any
limitations to the length of a field, only to the number of switches
and nesting levels, neither of which should be at issue here. Are
you sure you're not getting the entire URL? Have you tried pressing
End to see if it is all included?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"mino'aka" wrote in message
I tried copying/pasting the URL and going there on my browser so
that it
would show up in the recent addresses in the Create Hyperlink
window, but either way the URL is just too long for the field.
I'm not sure what you mean by surrounding the URL with .
Apparently it
simply takes up 2 more characters in the already too short field on
the Create Hyperlink window. Am I supposed to try adding a hyperlink
in another way than highlighting the text on my doc and then
clicking Insert Hyperlink?

"Debbie Lemon, MCDST" wrote:

Have you tried typing the URLs into the address bar of your
browser,
copying them and pasting them?

Another trick is to surround your URL with .
--
Debbie Lemon, MCDST
Microsoft Office Master Instructor

"mino'aka" wrote:

I'm trying to input some very long URLs into my Word 2000
document,
but Word will not accept more than X number of characters in the
create hyperlink window. How do I extend that character limit or
hyperlink a different way inside of Word so that it will accept the
amazing long URLs?

Hyperlink Character limit RSC Microsoft Word Help 5 November 3rd 14 06:24 AM
hyperlink character limit [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 June 4th 13 09:48 PM
Hyperlink character limit mohill Microsoft Word Help 8 February 2nd 06 12:38 AM
Character limit LMB New Users 4 December 2nd 05 01:35 PM
Sql Query: 255 character Limit Mark Olbert Mailmerge 2 January 31st 05 07:33 PM