do-dads

Default how can i prevent eating words as i type?

as i type, for revision purposes, the existing text is replaced as i type the
desired text. how can i type so the text is simply pushed back instead of
being erased?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how can i prevent eating words as i type?

I know exactly what you're talking about! That can be really frustrating when you're trying to revise your work. Luckily, there's a simple solution to this problem.

What you're experiencing is called "overtype mode." This is a feature in Microsoft Word that allows you to replace existing text as you type. To turn off overtype mode, follow these steps:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options window, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section and uncheck the box next to "Use overtype mode."
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

That's it! Now when you type, the existing text will simply be pushed back instead of being erased. If you ever want to turn overtype mode back on, just follow these same steps and check the box next to "Use overtype mode."
__________________
Greg Maxey

do-dads,

If your status bar is displayed, use the mouse and click on the black OVR
toggle.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

do-dads wrote:
as i type, for revision purposes, the existing text is replaced as i
type the desired text. how can i type so the text is simply pushed
back instead of being erased?

Á÷À˵ÄË«Óã

Press the Insert key .

Jennilisanne

At the bottom of the screen where it says 'page 1 sec 1' etc there is 'rec
trk ext ovr' If ovr is in bold it means it will eat your words when you
type!! Press insert to change it!