john gibb

Default Maintaining certain Toolbar and View settings

Hi,

Word won't allow me to permanently change my Toolbars and Tool|Options|View
settings.

I can't seem to permanently turn off the display of certain Toolbars--even
though I disable them in the document (and the associated templates for that
matter) and then Save. I have also tried disabling the display in the Tools
| Customize menu and saving--to no avail.

In addition, I would like to retain my Tools | Options | View settings. For
example, I might have Hidden Text enabled when I open the document, but I
want to suppress its display. So I turn it off, click OK in the Options
dialog, and then Save.

However when I close and then reopen the document in question, both the
Toolbars and the Tool|Options|View settings revert to the pre-saved
condition.

FWIW, I use Word 2003 (SP3).

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

-john

Greg

John,

I use a AutoNew and AutoOpen macro in my document templates to
"harness" annoying display and toolbars. Something like:

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitBestFit
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingAlways
.ShowHiddenText = False
End With
With CommandBars
.Item("Reviewing").Visible = False
.Item("Mail Merge").Visible = False
.Item("Forms").Visible = False
End With
End Sub

Thure

Greg,

I haven't tried this befo Could you explain a bit more where you put the
macro text and what you mean by using an AutoOpen macro (your code is only
for AutoNew ??)

Like John, I also get frustrated about all the various toolbars that love to
come up and fill my screen, so your macro would be great!

Thanks, Thure