Default problem w/ cross referencing in word 97

Hi there,

I am writing a document in MS WORD '97. It is about 50 pages long. I
want to use cross references to headings.

For example I want something like:
"For more Details, refer to Section 1.2"

I want the "1.2" to be the cross reference. However when I go to
insert the cross reference and specify the heading number to which the
cross reference refers, the number given is always "0" instead of the
"1.2".

What must I do to avoid this?

Any help would be great.

Smartbadge

Robert,

Is your heading numbered through word, or has the "1.2" at the start

of
the heading been typed manually ...?

I believe that I have been numbering the headings manually. I'll try
to get the headers numbered automatically by Word.

smartbadge

Robert,

I believe that I have been numbering the headings manually. I'll try

to get the headers numbered automatically by Word.

I just tried this on a simple test document in Word and the cross
referencing works!

Thank You!
smartbadge