NJ Premier Group

Default How do I create Horizontal Columns

I am attempting to create a 3-fold brochure (in a landscape format) in MS
Word but the columns are not formatting horizontally only vertically as in a
book rather than a brochure. I would really appreciate anyone's assistance.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I create Horizontal Columns

Sure, I can definitely help you with that! Here's how you can create horizontal columns in Microsoft Word:
  1. Open a new Word document and go to the "Page Layout" tab.
  2. Click on the "Columns" dropdown menu and select "More Columns".
  3. In the "Columns" dialog box, select the "Three" option under "Presets".
  4. Under "Width and spacing", make sure the "Width" is set to a size that will fit your brochure (e.g. 8.5 inches for a standard letter size paper).
  5. Under "Apply to", select "Whole document" to apply the columns to the entire document.
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

Now your document should have three horizontal columns instead of vertical ones. You can then add your content to each column as needed for your brochure.

If you want to adjust the spacing between the columns, you can go back to the "Columns" dialog box and adjust the "Spacing" options under "Width and spacing".
__________________
SVC

This is your second request regarding this question.

Suzanne Barnhill suggested in response to your first request that you use a
table. I agree and would suggest that you use a three-column table to set up
your tri-fold brochure. I am assuming that your page setup is already set at
landscape.

To create the necessary space between "columns" you will need to increase
the internal margins in your table (Table Table Properties, click the Cell
tab and the Option button, change the cell margin to a sufficient size to
allow the appearance of columns).

I'm not sure I understand about the columns not formatting horizontally only
vertically. Do you mean that the text is coming out reading from left to
right, and you want it to read from, say, bottom to top? If this is the
case, you can change the direction of the text in the table cells, Format
Text Direction. If you are looking for something else, could you please give
a more precise description.

"NJ Premier Group" wrote:

I am attempting to create a 3-fold brochure (in a landscape format) in MS
Word but the columns are not formatting horizontally only vertically as in a
book rather than a brochure. I would really appreciate anyone's assistance.

Okay, I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding here. It sounds as if
you are creating a three-panel brochure. That is, you have a landscape page
that will be folded twice, the folds parallel to the short sides. If you set
the number of columns to three (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm for more), then you
will have accomplished this. Each panel will have a portrait orientation (as
in a book); that is normal for a brochure.

But it seems you're really attempting to do something different. Perhaps you
are trying to rotate the text in one column (for a mailing panel, for
example)? To do this you will need to insert a text box, frame, or table
cell and change the text direction in it.

If what you're trying to create is a flyer rather than a brochure, then you
should be using portrait orientation to begin with. When you spoke of
"horizontal columns" (a contradiction in terms: if they're horizontal,
they're rows), I thought perhaps you were trying to repeat the same material
several times on a page, to be cut apart (compliment slips, for example). In
that case, a table is one way of accomplishing your goal.

"NJ Premier Group" wrote in
message ...

create columns in word memory Tables 5 May 15th 10 06:33 PM
How do I create horizontal columns in MS Word? NJ Premier Group Microsoft Word Help 1 July 5th 05 04:25 PM
Word crashes when I try to create a horizontal line JScar Microsoft Word Help 10 February 1st 05 07:46 AM
How to create multiple pages with newpaper columns DBodell Page Layout 3 January 4th 05 08:35 PM
How I do create columns in footnotes? ESHAQABAD Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 09:16 AM