Frustrated from London

Default How do I display the full filepath on insert hyperlink in Word 200

Older versions of Word used to include an "include filepath" checkbox when
inserting a (browsed for) hyperlink into a document. I now have Word 2002,
and can't find this option anywhwere.

I need to include the full filepath in my hyperlink.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Many thanks...

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Can you describe what commands you're using to insert the hyperlink?

If I use Insert - Hyperlink, the full path is used in the displayed link, by
default.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
wrote in message ...
Older versions of Word used to include an "include filepath" checkbox when
inserting a (browsed for) hyperlink into a document. I now have Word 2002,
and can't find this option anywhwere.

I need to include the full filepath in my hyperlink.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Many thanks...

Frustrated from London

I am using Insert - Hyperlink also, but my default "Text to display" only
gives the filename (with no path).

It seems that our defaults are set differently, but where they are set?

wrote in message ...
Older versions of Word used to include an "include filepath" checkbox when
inserting a (browsed for) hyperlink into a document. I now have Word 2002,
and can't find this option anywhwere.

I need to include the full filepath in my hyperlink.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Many thanks...

Herb Tyson [MVP]

I see the problem now. I was testing in a Document 1 window, and hadn't
saved yet. When you do that, Word doesn't yet have enough "current"
information to construct a relative path.

As far as I can tell, this is a problem with Word 2002 & 2003. If you want
the full path, you'll need to type it into the Text to Display box. You
don't have the full path option even when you use Insert - Field - Hyperlink
rather than Insert - Hyperlink.

One workaround (and not a perfect one, by any means) would be to insert a
link to an object instead of using a hyperlink field (Insert - Object -
Create from File, etc.), telling Word to display to use both Link to File
and Display as Icon.

Another workaround would be to use an unsaved Document # window to compose
the hyperlink, then copy/paste into your actual document.

I don't know if this helps... but you can specify the hyperlink base for any
given document in File - Properties - Summary tab. If you prefer to use the
Hyperlink field and don't want to jump through hoops, this will at least
allow the hyperlinks to have the proper initial reference point.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

wrote in message
Older versions of Word used to include an "include filepath" checkbox
when
inserting a (browsed for) hyperlink into a document. I now have Word
2002,
and can't find this option anywhwere.

I need to include the full filepath in my hyperlink.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Many thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jsaxman12

Default How do I display the full filepath on insert hyperlink in Word

I am having the same issue, just converted from 2000 to 2003. Sounds like
this is still not a resolved issue for hyperlink full filepath display and
that awkward workaround is my only option... Correct?