Ricki Miles

Default Using several files to make one document

I am creating a manual in Word 2003. The material has been created as
separate Word and Excel documents. This includes text, spreadsheets, forms.
They must be put together as one document and then a PDF must be created
from it. Most of the documents are Word with some spreadsheets.

A complete Table of Contents of this entire document is also needed.

1.. I am staying away from using Master Documents.. Is it best to create
one large Word document by inserting the individual files using the Insert,
File command?
2.. What is the best way to insert the Excel documents - as a link? What
would happen if they were created as a link and then made a PDF?
3.. Page numbers must include the Chapter number in front i.e. 1-1,
1-2, and 2-1, 2-2, etc.
4.. The forms and Excel spreadsheets are to be included in the Table of
Contents.
5.. Would it be better to leave everything as separate documents, convert
them to PDF and then make up one PDF from the individual PDF's?

Thanks so much for the advice,

Ricki

Daiya Mitchell

I thought of suggesting that, but the Excel files might be a problem, so
it's not so simple....

Converting the separate documents to PDF and then merging them would
probably be easier, but I'm not sure the TOC and continuous page numbering
would be possible in that situation (I don't know what Acrobat offers--have
never heard that they will apply page numbers--if Acrobat would, I bet that
would be easier.).

So you will have to combine them in Word. You'll probably need section
breaks between each Word doc--the link Suzanne gave will direct you to the
necessary information under Sections, and yes, using Insert File might then
be easiest. You'll also find a link on chapter numbering under Numbering,
and links on creating TOCs.

It kinda depends on what the Excel spreadsheet are like, and what you need
to replicate. You can only insert an object that is one page or less, so
for multi-page excel files, you'll need to insert each page separately. In
such a case, it might be easiest to convert the excel file to PDF (without
page numbers), and then insert each page, so that you know what you are
getting. It will have to be embedded in the PDF anyhow, so I don't know
that it makes a difference whether it is linked or embedded in the Word
file.

Duplicate everything before you start, as this may involve quite a bit of
experimentation.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

I missed the reference to Excel SS.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/