Dan

Default How do I set a tab stop for colons ":" ?

How do I set a tab stop for colons ":" such that the text is aligned
vertically on the colon charater?

example Name:
Phone:
Fax:
Jay Freedman

Dan wrote:
How do I set a tab stop for colons ":" such that the text is aligned
vertically on the colon charater?

example Name:
Phone:
Fax:

Word has a decimal tab, but that works only for a period, not a colon. (See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm.)

Instead, set up your tab stops this way (preferably in a style): Insert a
right-aligned tab at the location for the colon, and a left-aligned tab
slightly to the right where you want the next text to start. On each line,
starting from the left margin, type a tab, the label and colon, another tab,
and the remaining text, like

tabName:tabGeorge Washington

Another alternative is to use a (possibly borderless) table with two
columns; set the first column's paragraph alignment to Right and set its
width as desired.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Luc

Dan,
Set a right aligning tab in the ruler. Click on the little icon on the left
of the ruler, on every click another kind of tab will appear, if you have
the right aligning tab, click in the ruler where you want to position the
tab. In your document hit the tab key and type.
Luc
"Dan" schreef in bericht
How do I set a tab stop for colons ":" such that the text is aligned
vertically on the colon charater?

example Name:
Phone:
Fax:

FWIW, in such situations I often omit the colon--add a little more space
between the Name, Phone, Fax, etc., stubs and their values, maybe boldface
the descriptions, etc.

"Dan" wrote in message
Jay - Thank you for the Help!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Dan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Sezner Jay Sezner is offline

Do you think Word will ever add this as a feature, i.e. like in the "convert
text to table" dialog box, "separate text at" and let the user define the
desired character?

This would be a very useful feature for bilingual texts involving different
decimal characters.

thanks,
Jay Sezner