Richard

Default Special page numbering

Hi there,
I am using Word 2002.
In a long document I am using sections to number de pages of different parts
of my document. The field I use at the bottom of the page I get through,
Insert, Pagenumbers.
THIS IS MY PROBLEM:
Section1: I start with 1 and it ends with for instance page 6.
Section2: I start again with page 1 and this ends with page 4.
Section3: This section I want to continue numbering from section 1. So this
one must start automatically with page 7.

Is this possible? Must I insert somewhere a field which keeps track of the
last page of section 1?

Thank you for any input.

Rickie

Charles Kenyon

Do not use Insert Page Number. Take a look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. For even more,
see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Richard" wrote in message
.. .
Hi there,
I am using Word 2002.
In a long document I am using sections to number de pages of different
parts
of my document. The field I use at the bottom of the page I get through,
Insert, Pagenumbers.
THIS IS MY PROBLEM:
Section1: I start with 1 and it ends with for instance page 6.
Section2: I start again with page 1 and this ends with page 4.
Section3: This section I want to continue numbering from section 1. So
this
one must start automatically with page 7.

Is this possible? Must I insert somewhere a field which keeps track of
the
last page of section 1?

Thank you for any input.

Rickie

PopS

Good links, but ... neither, I don't believe, answers the OP's
question, which is something I have tried to figure out before
too.

IMO, he want to "automatically" start numbering section 3, based
on the last page number in section 1. He does NOT want insert a
"start with" page number, because changing the number of pages in
section one means the first page of section 3 must be incremented
to one higher than that of section 1. So, it's not a case of
using "Start Numbering at", it's a case of making it 1+section 1
highest page number.
I can almost see how to do that by using a link of some sort
to the page number on the last page of section 1, increment it by
one, and start numbering, but ... I've never been able to make it
work.

Any thoughts?

BTW if anyone knows gregmaxey, his page is nearly unreadable at
800 x 600; he needs to fix that. I gave up trying to actually
read it. I don't scroll horizontally without darned good reason.

Pop

"Charles Kenyon"
wrote in message ...
: Do not use Insert Page Number. Take a look at
: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. For
even more,
: see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm.
:
: --
: Charles Kenyon
:
: Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
:
: Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented
version of
: Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
http://addbalance.com/usersguide
:
: See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is
awesome!
: --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: from my ignorance and your wisdom.
:
: "Richard" wrote in message
: .. .
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Well, since you couldn't read the GregMaxey page, you didn't see that the
first section of it explains exactly what you describe and have never been
able to get work--using a PageRef field to show page numbers that are the
sum of the number of pages in different sections. Is that darned good
reason?

It doesn't detail exactly what the OP wants, but it does demonstrate the
method that the OP needs to tweak a little.

In this case, I think the OP would use a field to get {={PageRef S1} +
{Page}}, with the section set to restart.

If you print it, your printer might adjust it.

wrote in message ...
[...]
: "Richard" wrote in message
: .. .
[...]

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Start at: page numbering not working Blaise Page Layout 3 July 9th 05 06:09 PM
Page numbering and un-numbering Elbert Page Layout 2 July 8th 05 03:33 PM
page numbering MFP Microsoft Word Help 2 May 13th 05 10:38 AM
preview odd number pages on the right and even on the left mikeo Page Layout 6 February 26th 05 12:26 AM
Page numbering on Even page only Louise Microsoft Word Help 6 February 18th 05 01:55 AM