GH

Default Can not recover document

Hi,

I have:
1. converted to html, and converted back to Word
2. deleted last paragraph and copied in to a new document

When I open and repair the doc I recieve the following corrections:
Numbereds Styles 1, Styles 1, Text Boxes 1.
When I convert to PDF or RTF Word hangs!
I thought that it's something with my configuration because, I have a
start up file with some styles so I moved the document to a different
configured computer, but that did not help.
Before step 1 and 2, I converted to RTF, the file increased from 15 MB
to 345 MB!

I use Word 2003.

Any hints?

regards
Georg

Klaus Linke

Hi Georg,

Try saving as XML?

With 15 MB, I guess the PDF converter might have a problem. Maybe give it
lots of time (overnight), or try to split up the doc into smaller pieces
first.

Creating a PDF is your problem, right? Or is there some other reason why you
think the file is damaged?
The size increase when saving as RTF might be caused by pictures, since they
can't be compressed as good in RTF.
That alone wouldn't be a reason to think the doc is damaged.

Good luck,
Klaus

"GH" wrote:
Hi,

I have:
1. converted to html, and converted back to Word
2. deleted last paragraph and copied in to a new document

When I open and repair the doc I recieve the following corrections:
Numbereds Styles 1, Styles 1, Text Boxes 1.
When I convert to PDF or RTF Word hangs!
I thought that it's something with my configuration because, I have a
start up file with some styles so I moved the document to a different
configured computer, but that did not help.
Before step 1 and 2, I converted to RTF, the file increased from 15 MB
to 345 MB!

I use Word 2003.

Any hints?

regards
Georg

GH

Thank you Klaus for trying to help me!

Converting to XML, Word hangs after some seconds. Converting to PDF or
RTF Word hangs alo after some seconds.

The background is: I have to convert to PDF and I really have problems
with the document. When I repair the document I recieve the following
repair messages:
1) Drawn Objects 1
2) Internal Data Integrity (Type 4) 1
3) Numbered Styles 1;
4) Numbered Styles 2
5) Section and Headers 1
6) Section and Headers 2

I was not able to correct this items. So I recieve the errors after the
updatings.

Thanks again
Regards
Georg

Klaus Linke

Hi Georg,

Sounds like the document really is pretty badly damaged. Sometimes, some of
the issues are fixed automatically when you save as XML (if you manage to do
that in the first place, that is).

Try to split up the file, then try to save the parts as XML first (to try
and fix any remaining corruption), then if that is sucessfull, open the XML
and save that as PDF.
If you have sections, the single sections without the trailing section mark
would be a good start.
That way, you might leave some of the corruption (at least that belonging to
sections and headers) behind.

If you have OpenOffice, maybe try to open the document there. Another import
filter might in some cases fix stuff that the Word import filter can't fix.

Regards,
Klaus

"GH" schrieb:
Thank you Klaus for trying to help me!

Converting to XML, Word hangs after some seconds. Converting to
PDF or RTF Word hangs alo after some seconds.

The background is: I have to convert to PDF and I really have problems
with the document. When I repair the document I recieve the following
repair messages:
1) Drawn Objects 1
2) Internal Data Integrity (Type 4) 1
3) Numbered Styles 1;
4) Numbered Styles 2
5) Section and Headers 1
6) Section and Headers 2

I was not able to correct this items. So I recieve the errors after the
updatings.

Thanks again
Regards
Georg

GH

Thanks Klaus,

I will try to do so. I tried to convert to RTF parts of the document
before but I was not successfull.

That with the sections I have not tried!
Do you have a description of what to do? I have the paragraphs on in
e.g. normal mode.
What is the trailing section?

Best regards
Georg

Klaus Linke

With the trailing section mark (or section break) I mean the "section break"
character that follows the section (displayed as a double dotted line).

You can find it with ^b in "Edit Find", but it's probably easier to use
"Edit Goto Bookmark", type in "\section" -- the built-in bookmark for
the section you are in -- and then once the section is selected, use
Shift+Left to exclude the last character.

You should find more info he
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Regards,
Klaus

"GH" wrote:
Thanks Klaus,

I will try to do so. I tried to convert to RTF parts of the document
before but I was not successfull.

That with the sections I have not tried!
Do you have a description of what to do? I have the paragraphs on in
e.g. normal mode.
What is the trailing section?

Best regards
Georg

Klaus Linke

"Predefined bookmark" rather than "built-in bookmark" would have been the
technically correct name.
I really have some problems with nomenclature in this thread...

:-/ Klaus

GH

thanks Klaus,

I will try again. I have tried with
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm, perhaps I have
not done it correctly.

Regards
Georg

GH

I think I have it now.
XML conversion for a long process time did it.

Thanks Klaus
Regards
Georg