Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Outline numbering in multidocument books

Hi,

I have set up outline numbering in a multidocument book bu following the
procedure of MVP Shauna Kelly at the link ...

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

The problem is with the sub-documents ....

The approprite number comes up when I assign the relevant 'heading' style to
the paragraph. However, when I save the document and close it and then open
it, all the numbers dissapear EXCEPT for level 1 (which is associated with
Heading 1), which keeps its number. I can get the numbers back by simply
going to style box (top left hand corner) and clicking (to highlight) the
style (which is correct) and the hitting return, but clearly this is not
practical!

This problem does not appear to occur for the main document.

Can someone offer advice please on how to sort this problem.

Thankyou.

Please use my e-mail for replying - thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Daiya Mitchell

Word Heretic might come along and help you out, but most of the people
posting here donąt know much about master documents, because:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely
(might have an answer to your question):
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

You might also check these links for potential workarounds:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the łNumber Pages Across Files˛ section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature‹for an introduction to them, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big files
he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer. "Master
Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a "feature" that not only
doesn't work but also destroys documents. The consensus (with the limited
exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering advice on these newsgroups
is that using the Master Document feature is a good way to destroy your
document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even
working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there
are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that
will be corrupt soon. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm for ideas on how
to salvage what you can. See
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc for
Steve Hudson's instructions if you are willing to follow them very
carefully.

If I did know anything about this, though, I would suggest that you must set
your numbering up in your template and that all portions of your book must
be based on that template, that is, the master and all subs.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

--

" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

No, Steve's off-line for a couple of weeks. He's moving house and the Telco
stuffed up his broadband connection. So he fired them, but getting a new
telco takes time...

The "real" problem here is that the Master and the Subs are using different
list templates for the same styles. There are several ways to fix this: the
most reliable of which is to get rid of the master document!

If your total publication is less than 2,500 pages, that's what I would do.
Word gets a bit slow above 2,000 pages. Work in Normal View, not Page
Layout View, and as the document gets larger, use linked pictures instead of
embedding them. Using these techniques, you can go to about 5,500 pages in
a single file before it really drags.

If you MUST use multiple files, that's fine: simply get rid of the Master
Document and use the separate files. Use RD Fields to compile the TOC and
Index, and send the files to the printer individually to print them. Look
up "RD Fields (Referenced Document fields)" in the Help, and follow the
instructions VERY carefully, particularly the bit about using double
back-slashes for the path separators.

Set the page numbering to start correctly at each new file using InsertPage
NumberFormat, or add the Chapter number to the page number and allow it to
revert to "1" at each file.

You will also need to use FormatStyle to set the starting number for the
Heading 1 Style in each chapter. Make sure the template is attached with
"Automatically update styles turned OFF", or your numbering will revert
every time you open each document.

If you do not want to do this, you then have to use Named List Templates and
use Macros to apply the styles correctly, and ensure that you do this in the
master document as well as each of the subdocuments.

The problem you are getting is caused by a context switch between the
subdocuments and the master document. If you open a master document only,
the internal numbering list templates of the master are used for the master
and all the subs. When you open a subdocument on its own or within the
master, the subdocument then reverts to using its own local definitions.
Given there are nine styles and an unlimited number of list templates
involved, each of which has nine levels, the resulting complexity becomes
unmanageable.

Those of us who do know a lot about master documents don't use them. Can
you guess why?? :-)

cheers

On 11/15/05 8:29 AM, " wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 4 1209 1410