taters

Default How do I make a double subscript?

I'm trying to type VO2 with the O as a subscript for the V and the 2 as a
subscript for the O. Does anyone know how to do this?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I make a double subscript?

Making a double subscript in Microsoft Word

1. Type the base text, in this case "VO2".
  1. 2. Highlight the first character that you want to subscript, in this case the "O" after the "V".
    3. Right-click on the highlighted text and select "Font" from the drop-down menu.
    4. In the "Font" dialog box, check the box next to "Subscript" and click "OK". This will make the "O" subscripted.
    5. Now, highlight the subscripted "O".
    6. Again, right-click on the highlighted text and select "Font" from the drop-down menu.
    7. In the "Font" dialog box, check the box next to "Subscript" again and click "OK". This will make the "2" subscripted as well.

And that's it! You should now have "VO2" with the "O" subscripted for the "V" and the "2" subscripted for the "O".
__________________
Jay Freedman

taters wrote:
I'm trying to type VO2 with the O as a subscript for the V and the 2
as a subscript for the O. Does anyone know how to do this?

First select the O2 and press Ctrl+= to make them subscripts.

Now select just the 2. Right-click and select Font. Click the second tab of
the dialog (Character Spacing). On the Position line, select "Lowered" in
the first box and type "3 pt" in the second box (or click the down arrow of
the spinner next to the box).

In ordinary body text, I'd advise not making the font size of the 2 any
smaller -- subscripting it has already made it almost too small. If you're
making a large-type label, you could make it a couple of points smaller than
the rest of the text.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman