Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
homeologica

Default Writing changing headers in each page in a dictionary

I'm writing a repertory. This is a kind of medical dictionary formatted the
same way a dictionary is. It has 2 columns. Headings in each page include
the inicial first column word at left side and at right side must be the
second column last word.

This had been a hard task for me because I can't control so much ever
changing section jumps.

Does somebody knows a way to do this?

Perhaps some macros may save time.

Thanks.

Alejandro Fernandez

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly

Hi Alejandro

The short answer is: Use a STYLEREF field in your headers.

But you will need to set up your document appropriately first. (I suggest
you make a backup before you start on these changes.)

1. Don't use section breaks just because you need to change the header or
footer. Remove any section breaks unless you need them for some other
purpose (eg to change number of columns, or to change from portrait to
landscape).

2. Remove any hard page breaks that you inserted using Insert Break. To
see the page breaks, click the ¶ button on the toolbar. Then just click on
the page break and delete it.

3. I assume that your document is laid out so that the word that is defined
is, say, bold, followed immediately by the definition. Create a *character*
style called, say, DefinedWord and make it bold.

Apply that character style to each defined word. For more information about
creating and applying styles, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word.

4. In the header, do ctrl-F9 then type STYLEREF DefinedWord. So it looks
like { STYLEREF DefinedWord }.

5. Still in the header, click outside that field, press Tab twice (by
default, the Header style has a centred tab in the middle, and a
right-aligned tab against the right margin). Now, do ctrl-F9 and type
STYLEREF DefinedWord \l. Note that this is a lower case L (not a 1). So it
looks like { STYLEREF DefinedWord \l }

6. Click in the fields and do F9 to update.

If you need more help, look up STYLEREF in Word's help. There is also a
specific help article called "Create a dictionary-style page header".

It might be a good idea to practice in a test document first.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"homeologica" wrote in message
I'm writing a repertory. This is a kind of medical dictionary formatted
the
same way a dictionary is. It has 2 columns. Headings in each page include
the inicial first column word at left side and at right side must be the
second column last word.

This had been a hard task for me because I can't control so much ever
changing section jumps.

Does somebody knows a way to do this?

Perhaps some macros may save time.

Thanks.

Alejandro Fernandez

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:11:37 -0500, "homeologica"
wrote:

I'm writing a repertory. This is a kind of medical dictionary formatted the
same way a dictionary is. It has 2 columns. Headings in each page include
the inicial first column word at left side and at right side must be the
second column last word.

This had been a hard task for me because I can't control so much ever
changing section jumps.

Does somebody knows a way to do this?

Perhaps some macros may save time.

Thanks.

Alejandro Fernandez

Hi Alejandro,

The way to do it in Word is first to apply a style to each word that's
being defined in the document. If each word is on a line by itself,
ending with a paragraph mark, then you can use a paragraph style;
otherwise, use a character style. Let's assume you define a character
style named Definition and apply it to each defined word.

Then place two StyleRef fields in the header. On the left, insert the
field

{ StyleRef Definition }

This field will display the first word on each page that has
Definition style.

Then type two Tab characters (the header by default has a tab stop at
the center of the page and another at the right margin). At the right,
enter the field

{ StyleRef Definition \l }

(the letter after the backslash is a lower case ell). This field will
display the last word on each page that has Definition style.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs