Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
GreenEyedMedusa

Default convert columns into rows

I really love the table function in Word; however, sometimes I've found that
I need to convert a row into a column or a column into a row and can't do it!
I really think that whatever new version of Word should have this function.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:04:03 -0800, GreenEyedMedusa
wrote:

I really love the table function in Word; however, sometimes I've found that
I need to convert a row into a column or a column into a row and can't do it!
I really think that whatever new version of Word should have this function.

This function (called transposition) is provided by Excel, so
Microsoft decided it wasn't needed within Word. Here are the steps:

- Copy the table from Word to the clipboard and paste it into a blank
Excel worksheet.

- In Excel, copy the table again.

- Move the cursor to a cell in an empty area of the worksheet.

- On the toolbar, click the down arrow next to the Paste button and
select Transpose. The swapped table will be pasted in, with its top
left cell at the cursor.

- Copy the transposed table from Excel and paste it into Word. Delete
the old table. (Don't try to paste the transposed table into the old
table; you'll get a mess.)

If this is something you do often, it would be possible to program a
macro to do it in one step.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

One day when in re-inventing the wheel mode, I created

' Transposer Macro
' Macro creaeted 18/01/1999 by Doug Robbins
' to transpose rows and columns in a table
Dim NumCols as Long, NumRows as Long
NumCols = ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Count
NumRows = ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count
ActiveDocument.Tables.Add Range:=Selection.Range, NumRows:=NumCols,
NumColumns:= _
NumRows
RowCounter = 0
While RowCounter NumRows
ColCounter = 0
While ColCounter NumCols
CellText = ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(RowCounter + 1, ColCounter
+ 1).Range.Text
CellText = Left(CellText, Len(CellText) - 2)
ActiveDocument.Tables(2).Cell(ColCounter + 1, RowCounter +
1).Range.InsertBefore CellText
ColCounter = ColCounter + 1
Wend
RowCounter = RowCounter + 1
Wend

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"GreenEyedMedusa" wrote in
message ...
I really love the table function in Word; however, sometimes I've found
that
I need to convert a row into a column or a column into a row and can't do
it!
I really think that whatever new version of Word should have this
function.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
GreenEyedMedusa

i know Excel offers transposition, but if one's interest is to make a table
of nothing but text, it's my opinion that Word is better because you can do
alot more text formatting, especially with bullet lists... to my knowledge,
Excel doesn't do that. The bullet list function in tables (which Word
allows) is a really great tool for students who need to make charts of info
to study from. That's why I would really like to see the transposition
function in Word.