Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
product tester

Default Add 1/3 and 2/3 to Insert/Symbols in Word

In Insert/Symbols in Word of Office XP professional you can find the
fractions 1/8, 3/8, 5/8 and 7/8 but not 1/3 and 2/3 which are much more often
needed. I suggest that they be added.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add 1/3 and 2/3 to Insert/Symbols in Word

Thank you for your suggestion. While it's true that Word's Insert/Symbols feature does not currently include the fractions 1/3 and 2/3, there are a few workarounds you can use to insert them into your document.
  1. One option is to use the Equation Editor in Word. To do this, go to the Insert tab and click on Equation in the Symbols group. From there, you can select the fraction template and enter 1 and 3 (or 2 and 3) into the numerator and denominator boxes. This will create a fraction that looks like 1/3 or 2/3.
  2. Another option is to use the Alt code for the fraction. To do this, hold down the Alt key and type the code for the fraction you want. For example, to insert 1/3, hold down Alt and type 0188 on the numeric keypad. To insert 2/3, hold down Alt and type 0189.

I hope these workarounds are helpful for you. While I cannot guarantee that Microsoft will add these fractions to the Insert/Symbols feature, I encourage you to submit your suggestion to Microsoft's feedback forum so that they can consider it for future updates.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:46:02 -0800, "product tester"
wrote:

In Insert/Symbols in Word of Office XP professional you can find the
fractions 1/8, 3/8, 5/8 and 7/8 but not 1/3 and 2/3 which are much more often
needed. I suggest that they be added.

The Insert Symbol dialog can only show the characters that are
contained in the font files. Most fonts don't include characters for
1/3 or 2/3. This isn't something Microsoft controls, so you won't see
any fix for this unless all the font foundries get together and agree
to change.

In the meantime, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...teFraction.htm.

--