Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mad dogs and englishmen

Default why does my default language keep changing back to English (us)?

After setting my default language to English(UK), virtually every document I
edit has gone back to English(US).

It's driving me mad. How can default settings keep changing back to what I
assume is the initial default.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm. But note that
language is a character format that is applied to text. If you open a
document that has been created by a US user, it will have that language
applied; that is, your system language doesn't override the document
language. If you want to do that, you must select the entire document and
apply the desired language manually. Also note that, because language is a
text property, it can ride in on text you paste into a document and affects
the language at the insertion point; if you start typing immediately after
the pasted text, the applied language will persist.

"mad dogs and englishmen" mad dogs and
wrote in message
After setting my default language to English(UK), virtually every document

edit has gone back to English(US).

It's driving me mad. How can default settings keep changing back to what I
assume is the initial default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mad dogs and englishmen

Thanks Suzanne, I must have set the default lang over 100 times for this
particular doc. Just followed your instructions and now it defaults to
English(UK).

wrote in message
After setting my default language to English(UK), virtually every document

edit has gone back to English(US).

It's driving me mad. How can default settings keep changing back to what I
assume is the initial default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Stephensen David Stephensen is offline

I followed all of the instructions on the suggested page, including removing
US English as a possible language in the Office 2003 Language Settings.

I edited my normal.dot and set all styles to English Australia. I set the
default language in normal.dot to English Australia.

Even after all this, when I start a new document is says US English.

My workaround (which does not make me admire Word very much): Do the above,
start a new doc, type one character, select all, ctrl+space, ctrl+q, release
selection. Now the doc is in the right language, as long as you never delete
everything. As soon as you delete everything it reverts to US English.

David

wrote in message
After setting my default language to English(UK), virtually every document

edit has gone back to English(US).

It's driving me mad. How can default settings keep changing back to what I
assume is the initial default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Try renaming the normal.dot file, which forces Word to create a new one for
you. If necessary, then repeat the procedures in
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm. But note
that
language is a character format that is applied to text. If you open a
document that has been created by a US user, it will have that language
applied; that is, your system language doesn't override the document
language. If you want to do that, you must select the entire document
and
apply the desired language manually. Also note that, because language
is a
text property, it can ride in on text you paste into a document and
affects
the language at the insertion point; if you start typing immediately
after
the pasted text, the applied language will persist.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.