Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default "Next Record If", Mail Merge Issues

I am using an Access database source and using Access 2003 and Word
2003. I'm having a problem with the "Next Record If" feature.

I am using this format when I am merging my data:

RCA#: _ «RCA»_____________________
(Format: RCAyymmdd-abcnn, where abc=tech initials, nn=number counter)

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS

Equipment/Device:_«Equipment_Type»
· Model Number:_«Model_Number»
· Serial Number: _«Serial_Number»
· (Equip #:_«Equipment_Number» )

· Building:_«Building»
· Room/Cube Number:_«RoomCube_Number»

PROBLEM TYPE:
«Problem_Type»
Troubleshooting
No. Step
«Problem_Description»
«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

«Steps_to_Complete»

RESOLUTION:
Unit was: _«Resolution_Fixed__Replaced»_____________________
· Number:_«Resolution»
Still pending? _«Resolution_Pending»____________

«Resolution_Pending_Detail»

The "Next Record If" is not working correctly. I have a variable
number of problem descriptions and steps to complete. It successfully
puts those two but when I get down to Resolution and try to merge them
I think it tries to pull from a record that is blank. My "Next Record
If" condition is that it will go to the next record if the Problem
Description is not blank. It will work when I have resolution before I

do all the next record if but not if it's after which is where it needs

to be.

I was thinking maybe there might be a way to go to the first record to
get the resolution information or somehow to do multiple merges under
one document but I'm not sure about how to go about this.

Thank you in advance.

Jason Baxter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You cannot view the syntax from the way you have displayed your
message.Press ALT+F9 and the field should show

{ NEXTIF { MERGEFIELD Problem_Description } "" }

However see complex mail merges at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...tm#ComplexMerg
as I don't think this is going to work as you envisage.

wrote:
I am using an Access database source and using Access 2003 and Word
2003. I'm having a problem with the "Next Record If" feature.

I am using this format when I am merging my data:

RCA#: _ «RCA»_____________________
(Format: RCAyymmdd-abcnn, where abc=tech initials, nn=number counter)

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes it does show this. It won't copy and paste onto here but it shows

{ NEXTIF { MERGEFIELD Problem_Description } "" }

In this Word document I have 11 rows that can be merged. I need to
find out how to make an append query that will append a variable number
of blank rows up to 11 where it needs to be the information from the
first row. What I was looking at is to make a query that counts the
number of rows and use that number to create the other query to append
my blank rows and another one to append the first row's information. I
wish there was an easier way to do this but it looks like there no way
to get around this. I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Given that your data is in an Access database, you should be using an Access
Report, not mailmerge.

Word does NOT have the ability to merge multiple items for a single
condition.

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Articles

But if I were you, I would use an Access Report!
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes it does show this. It won't copy and paste onto here but it shows

{ NEXTIF { MERGEFIELD Problem_Description } "" }

In this Word document I have 11 rows that can be merged. I need to
find out how to make an append query that will append a variable number
of blank rows up to 11 where it needs to be the information from the
first row. What I was looking at is to make a query that counts the
number of rows and use that number to create the other query to append
my blank rows and another one to append the first row's information. I
wish there was an easier way to do this but it looks like there no way
to get around this. I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

How would you make a report that has multiple conditions on one page.
I got it to put it on multiple pages but that's not what I want.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You use grouping in the report design with the single item plus the text
associated with it in the group header, and the multiple items in the detail
section of the report and any closing text in connection with the single in
the group footer.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
How would you make a report that has multiple conditions on one page.
I got it to put it on multiple pages but that's not what I want.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Could someone go into more detail on how to put for example if you had
this data

[...]

There is the Equipment table and Problem table.

The Problem table has: Problem Description and Resolution along with
the foreign key from Equipment

I'm not quite understanding how to use grouping in the design view of
reports and how to connect the multiple fields together without getting
multiple pages if I have more than one problem.

Thank you in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I figured it out.

Thank you for all your previous help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Never mind, I figured it out

Thank you for all your help in the past.