Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mindy

Default email merge

Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's no email
option. Is this correct?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Display the Mail Merge Toolbar (ViewToolbars). The second button form the
right hand end of the toolbar will execute the merge to email.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's no email
option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

And if it doesn't ...................

First, make sure that the e-mail program you want to use is set up to be the
default e-mail program (e.g. via Internet Explorer|Tools|Internet
Options|Programs, and send at least one message using it.

Then Word needs some stuff in WIN.INI and/or in the Windows registry
before it will show you the E-mail option. I believe that for Word 2003 it
needs to be in the Windows registry, but that may depend also on the version
of Windows so it is probably better to put the information in both places.

For WIN.INI,
a. find the WIN.INI file in your Windows folder (typically c:\WINDOWS),
make a backup copy of it, and open it in Notepad.
b. ensure that the following text is in there, and add it if not

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

You will need to close all copies of Word before this change has a chance of
taking effect. It is probably safest to restart Windows to be completely
sure.

If that isn't enough, you will need to edit the registry. Proceed with
caution!

c. In your Windows folder, locate and run regedit.exe. If you're on an
older version of Windows you might need to use regedt32.exe.

Look for a key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi*crosoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

I would be surprised if it was not there in recent versions of Windows, but
if it is not, add it.

If it is there, I would expect to see
d. a subkey claled MSMapiApps
e. a number of "values" with the same names as are in the above list -
MAPI, MAPIX etc.
f. an additional value called InstallCmd

If you cannot see the (e) values, you need to add them. For each of the
values in the above list
g. right click "Windows Messaging Subsystem" and select New|String Value.
Note that although some of these items have numeric values, they should all
be entered as String Values.
h. enter the name, as above
i. double click on the name. A dialog box appears. Enter the value (e.g.
for the name CMCDLLNAME, enter mapi.dll) and click OK
j. You may also need to create the InstallCmd value, although I rather
doubt it. I am less sure about this and about what should go in there. On my
system, the value is:
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection MSMAIL 132 msmail.inf

When you have done them all, press F5. Then close all copies of Word and
restart it - or restart Windows, then restart Word and see if the e-mail
option has appeared.

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's no
email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mindy

where in the win.ini file do I put these lines?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MiĀ*crosoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's no
email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mindy

oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's no
email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in you
putting it in the middle of another section of data.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's no
email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The [Mail] section may already be present but incomplete in which case add
the missing lines to that section.
You will probably need to reboot after making the changes.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in
you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's
no email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mindy

Ok, I have the mail section done, but I have some questions on the
regedit.exe step.

In the MSMapApps there are
(Default) REG_SZ
choosur.dll REG_SZ
inetsw95.exe REG_SZ

I added MAP1 but I'm confused about what values to put for everything.

}

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in
you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's
no email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Unfortunately I cannot help with the registry edit. I repeated the message
from fellow contributor Peter Jamieson who may be watching. FWIW it works
here without the registry changes on Word 2003.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in
you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's
no email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Did you try it after modifying the win.ini file?

For what it's worth none of there are no keys such as

MAPI
CMCDLLNAME32
CMCDLLNAME
CMC
MAPIX
MAPIXVER
OLEMessaging

under MSMapApps in the registry on my PC and mailmerging to email works
fine.

What buttons do you see on the right hand end of the mailmerge toolbar?
Hover the mouse over them and see what it says they are.

Are you sure that you have both Outlook 2003 and Word 2003. If you have
Outlook 2003 and Word 2002 (XP) or an earlier version of Word, you will not
be able to execute a mailmerge to email.

--

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in
you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's
no email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mindy

Yes, I tried it after I modified the win file. I have Word 2003 and Outlook
Express 6. In Word in the mail merge toolbar the merge to fax, and the merge
to email are greyed out. also, here are the contents of my win.ini file.

; for 16-bit app support
[fonts]
[extensions]
[mci extensions]
[files]
[MCI Extensions.BAK]
aif=MPEGVideo
aifc=MPEGVideo
aiff=MPEGVideo
asf=MPEGVideo
asx=MPEGVideo
au=MPEGVideo
m1v=MPEGVideo
m3u=MPEGVideo
mp2=MPEGVideo
mp2v=MPEGVideo
mp3=MPEGVideo
mpa=MPEGVideo
mpe=MPEGVideo
mpeg=MPEGVideo
mpg=MPEGVideo
mpv2=MPEGVideo
snd=MPEGVideo
wax=MPEGVideo
wm=MPEGVideo
wma=MPEGVideo
wmv=MPEGVideo
wmx=MPEGVideo
wpl=MPEGVideo
wvx=MPEGVideo
[Indigo Rose]
C:\WINDOWS\iun1405.exe=2
[Mail]
MAPI
CMCDLLNAME32
CMCDLLNAME
CMC
MAPIX
MAPIXVER
OLEMessaging

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in
you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's
no email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I am not sure that it works with Outlook Express. It does however work with
Outlook. Do you have that on your machine? If so, set it up as the default
mail program.

--

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result in
you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

"Mindy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm trying to use Word 2003 to do a email merge but there's
no email option. Is this correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The Mail section should read:

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32. dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi. dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

At the moment you are identifying the keywords but not their values.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Right at the end of the file will do and is less likely to result
in you putting it in the middle of another section of data.

"Mindy" wrote in message
oops, I mean where do I put
[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

in the WIN.INI file?

Email merge not working TC Mailmerge 1 January 6th 06 06:48 AM
How do I email merge from Word to Outlook Express? M Hart Mailmerge 0 June 14th 05 05:32 PM
How do I attach a document in an Outlook email merge? M1031 Mailmerge 2 May 16th 05 07:21 PM
email a mail merge Dan Mailmerge 2 March 10th 05 10:06 PM
Email Merge: Need to have URL show as active hyperlink Manash Mailmerge 1 December 22nd 04 12:51 AM