Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David

Default Determine Data Source

Hi, y'all.

We have a set of Word Merge files that make use of data from a variety of
different Access databases with identical data structures and queries.

When I click the 'Open Data Source' command button on the Mail Merge toolbar
it will allow me to select any Access database I want to relink to, but is
there any way to determine which Access database the Word document is
currently linked to before I change it?

Thanks in advance!

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Running a macro containing the following command when the mail merge main
document is the active document will display a message box containing the
path\name of the data source.

MsgBox ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.Name

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"David" wrote in message
Hi, y'all.

We have a set of Word Merge files that make use of data from a variety of
different Access databases with identical data structures and queries.

When I click the 'Open Data Source' command button on the Mail Merge
toolbar
it will allow me to select any Access database I want to relink to, but is
there any way to determine which Access database the Word document is
currently linked to before I change it?

Thanks in advance!

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGF2aWQ=?=,

We have a set of Word Merge files that make use of data from a variety of
different Access databases with identical data structures and queries.

When I click the 'Open Data Source' command button on the Mail Merge toolbar
it will allow me to select any Access database I want to relink to, but is
there any way to determine which Access database the Word document is
currently linked to before I change it?

Which version of Word are you using?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGF2aWQ=?=,

2003

For this version, if I just want to check, I

- go to Help/About Microsoft Word, then click System Info
- From the tree structure at the left of this dialog box
- Applications/Office 2003 Applications/Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Select "Mail merge"
- all kinds of interesting things appear in the list on the right, including
full information about the data source

We have a set of Word Merge files that make use of data from a variety of
different Access databases with identical data structures and queries.

When I click the 'Open Data Source' command button on the Mail Merge toolbar
it will allow me to select any Access database I want to relink to, but is
there any way to determine which Access database the Word document is
currently linked to before I change it?

Which version of Word are you using?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Interesting, but on my system, that is not that long in the tooth, I think I
could write a macro to give me the information in the time that it took to
Refresh the System Information and display the results.

--

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David

Kewl! That helps a lot, too. This solution has the advantage that I don't
have to put a macro into the document and have to deal with macro security on
user's machines.

Thanks!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Doug,

Interesting, but on my system, that is not that long in the tooth, I think I
could write a macro to give me the information in the time that it took to
Refresh the System Information and display the results.

If you have an OLE DB connection, you may not get the entire connection
information through the VBA interface (granted, .Name will usually work; but
ConnectionString often won't).

-- Cindy Meister