Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Suzanne at CW

Default How do I format date and time fields in a merge document?

I'm merging from an Excel spreadsheet into a Word 2003 document. The
resulting merged documents need to show various dates in "February 6, 2006"
format and times in "9:30 AM" format. They display as "2/6/2006" and
"9:30:00 AM" after merging. I've formatted the fields in Excel to display in
the cells in the desired format, which is how it was done in Word 2000, but
this does not work in Word 2003. I changed the date and time fields in Excel
to text fields and typed them out the way I wanted them to show in the merged
documents; this displayed as "12:00:00 AM" in both the date and time fields!
How can I get the dates and times to display correctly in the merged
documents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Word 2003 reads only the raw data, not the formats applied in Excel. You'll
need a formatting switch eg
{Mergefield fieldname \@ "MMMM d, yyyy"}
See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm
and if converting from Word 2000, you should find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful.

Suzanne at CW wrote:
I'm merging from an Excel spreadsheet into a Word 2003 document. The
resulting merged documents need to show various dates in "February 6,
2006" format and times in "9:30 AM" format. They display as
"2/6/2006" and "9:30:00 AM" after merging. I've formatted the fields
in Excel to display in the cells in the desired format, which is how
it was done in Word 2000, but this does not work in Word 2003. I
changed the date and time fields in Excel to text fields and typed
them out the way I wanted them to show in the merged documents; this
displayed as "12:00:00 AM" in both the date and time fields! How can
I get the dates and times to display correctly in the merged
documents?

Document Creation Date Thomas M Microsoft Word Help 3 October 29th 05 04:02 AM
Date Time Field that auto updates - Merge Documents niv Microsoft Word Help 1 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Setting default headers and fonts in a template officequestions Microsoft Word Help 5 August 31st 05 01:54 PM
Merge date fields cidman Mailmerge 4 August 10th 05 06:08 AM
Mail Merge date format problem with Word 2003 Thang New Users 1 May 2nd 05 01:55 PM