Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CTOCsna

Default Can word do mail merge over the network drive using shared doc fi

Can we do mail merge using shared doc file in a central network locations.

We tried but it required exclusive access to the work document. When
multiple people try to do the mail merge in this situatios, the first one is
able to do it and the second one gets the "require exclusive access" or
something similar message.

Can it be done and how?

--
Thanks for helping
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ed

Hi CTOCsna,

If it's the mail merge main document you mean, one way we found to
work around the problem of the file acquiring an exclusive lock was to
set its read-only attribute (via right-click/Properties/Read-only). In
our case we were using document templates (.dot) as the basis for the
merge so we've never tried it using .docs.

Another way around it was to copy the file locally and use the local
copy for the merge. (The users didn't have to copy the file manually
as our s/w was automating Word to perform the merge.)

Cheers.

Ed

How do I mail merge to EMAIL from MS Word AND add a pdf attachment Lily@Insight Mailmerge 24 January 15th 07 09:33 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM