Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wild1

Default Comments (2003)

I want to insert a comment, but I don't want it to highlight anything. Is
there a way to make it stop doing that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No. In Word 2003, a comment inserted at a point was undetectable, and users
complained. So now if you don't select text when inserting a comment, Word
does it for you.

"Wild1" wrote in message
I want to insert a comment, but I don't want it to highlight anything. Is
there a way to make it stop doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Whilst it is true that Word will select text for you, you can always delete
that text later. I'm not sure it's necessarily a good idea though.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No. In Word 2003, a comment inserted at a point was undetectable, and

users
complained. So now if you don't select text when inserting a comment, Word
does it for you.

so
all may benefit.

"Wild1" wrote in message
I want to insert a comment, but I don't want it to highlight anything.

Is
there a way to make it stop doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Agreed.

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
Whilst it is true that Word will select text for you, you can always

delete
that text later. I'm not sure it's necessarily a good idea though.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No. In Word 2003, a comment inserted at a point was undetectable, and

users
complained. So now if you don't select text when inserting a comment,

Word
does it for you.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Wild1" wrote in message
I want to insert a comment, but I don't want it to highlight anything.

Is
there a way to make it stop doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tedoniman

Why do they always and forever change things for the worse? What is it -
make work? As Murphy said, 'if it works, don't mess with it' (makes sense,
'though).

(conservative)

--
Ted...

"Wild1" wrote in message
I want to insert a comment, but I don't want it to highlight anything. Is
there a way to make it stop doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tedoniman

Just browsing thru here and remembered something which might help.

By the way, just recently found out (somewhere in here) about getting rid of
the unsightly (IMHO) comments ballons clutter and back to old style whereby
you just hover over the comment and read the pop-up. Have to click Tools,
Options, (somewhere) and then, for 'Ballons", choose "never".

Getting back to 'Wild 1's' query, I used to enter those old style comments a
lot and then just highlight them and press CTRL+SHIFT+H to hide them on the
page.

To prevent the comments from highlighting the target, you can try putting a
dot or a
letter one space to right of target and then either or both make the font of
that
character very small or make it 'white'. On top of that you can also "hide"
the latter
AND the comment number as noted above.

Then made a little yellow smiley macro button on Toolbar to click and unhide
all
hidden text (when 'Hidden Text' was not ticked in 'Tools, Options, View').
Then another frowning 'smiley' to hide all again. Fast & simple.

Another thing that might be helpful for long lines of hidden text, I found,
was to
place it in one or more borderless (but not-hidden), Table rows. This
prevents file display changes in Print Preview and prints all lines in same
positions as you see them displayed in your normal working (print?) view.
That is, the lines which
store the hidden text don't disappear, causing the others to jump up on the
page - just the hidden-text disappears.

Hope you can use some of that.

--
Ted...