Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg

Default FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - unofficial February posting

Charles,

While there is obviously useful information here, to someone in these
groups almost everyday in my personal opinion these unofficial postings

border on spam. I wish you didn't post it at all, but if you feel you
must, I really would prefer you go bak to monthly.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.tables
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Oh, hell, we've been trying to say this to Charles for at least five years
:-)

We also tried to get him to stop knocking off our stuff and putting it on
his own website.

What irritates ME is the fact that Charles actually DOES know his stuff. If
he would only post an "answer" occasionally, instead of a link, I would be a
lot more supportive of his activities :-)

On 24/2/06 3:58 AM, in article
, "Greg"
wrote:

Charles,

While there is obviously useful information here, to someone in these
groups almost everyday in my personal opinion these unofficial postings

border on spam. I wish you didn't post it at all, but if you feel you
must, I really would prefer you go bak to monthly.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon

My email is at the bottom of each FAQ. Five years? I thought I was helping.

goodbye

It's been nice.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Charles,

While there is obviously useful information here, to someone in these
groups almost everyday in my personal opinion these unofficial postings

border on spam. I wish you didn't post it at all, but if you feel you
must, I really would prefer you go bak to monthly.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon

Greg,

"While there is obviously useful information here, to someone in these
groups almost everyday in my personal opinion these unofficial postings
border on spam. I wish you didn't post it at all, but if you feel you must,
I really would prefer you go bak to monthly."

I am also in these newsgroups virtually every day. I began posting the FAQ,
in the form of answers that had been given to these questions long before
there was an MVP website. I had been using usenet newsgroups for some time
and virtually every other newsgroup I belonged to had a regular FAQ posted.
Since no one was doing it here, I started. At the suggestion of the MVPs, I
created web pages with the answers and linked to them rather than post the
answers.

Since then, when appropriate, I have supplemented or replaced the links to
my site with links to the MVP site or others.

John,

"We also tried to get him to stop knocking off our stuff and putting it on
his own website."

What have I knocked off and put on my website? I'll remove it.

I took questions and answers that had appeared on the newsgroup and posted
them. My site predates the MVP site by at least a year, I think.

My page on posting suggestions (http://addbalance.com/word/netiquette.htm)
is a knock-off, deliberately, because I didn't want to be saying anything
different. It acknowledges that and points people to the source page. My
page started out different and I changed it so that it towed the party line.
You might note that in my newsgroup-posted FAQ the link is not to that page
on my site, but to the official one.

"What irritates ME is the fact that Charles actually DOES know his stuff. If
he would only post an "answer" occasionally, instead of a link, I would be a
lot more supportive of his activities :-)"

Again, I was specifically requested to post links. Generally a link to a
page that gives a comprehensive answer is more useful than an incomplete
answer, IMHO.

Most of the questions I answer are ones where there are pat answers, such as
links to Shauna Kelly's page on numbering styles, or MVP FAQ pages. I try to
answer questions where I think that what I post will help either the person
who asked the question or someone who actually does search the groups. I try
to not get in over my head. The note in my signature block about my
ignorance is meant seriously, even if said humorously. I've learned a great
deal from this newsgroup over the years; I enjoy sharing what I have learned
and helping people. Sometimes it helps me to maintain my balance to help
someone with a Word problem where I can help after facing legal problems
that I can't help with. (The equivalent of how do I recover my masterpiece
when I saved a different file on top of it with the same name, except with
the legal problems, the consequences may be years in prison.)

Both of you have enough management and leadership experience to know to
criticize in private. I expected better of you. It is not as if I am hard to
find or write to.

I have a great deal of respect for you and the other MVPs.

I have also received a number of thank-yous from non-regular users. I expect
that the FAQ postings do cut down on the number of repetetive questions, but
could be wrong. I was off-line for about a month in December and didn't post
then. Most novices don't know enough to look for a FAQ or to do a Google
search, and they'll keep asking the same questions. However, some do find it
and use it.

If the MVPs, as a group, ask me to stop posting the FAQ, I will do so. Keep
in mind, that although the posted FAQ is not useful to you, you are not the
intended audience. In the meantime, I will regard your opinion as just that,
an opinion. Seriously, posting the FAQ takes time. I look at it as giving
back to this community. If it is not, I would prefer to spend my time doing
something else. I would prefer that such a request be made through an email,
though. I think that what I have done here over the years deserves that
amount of courtesy.