Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colleen

Default user profiles and newly installed Normal.dot

I recently had to delet all Normal.dot templates on my computer and allow
Word to recreate a new one.

Now the two user profiles on my computer share a single Normal.dot template.
Even worse, the Save option in Word defaults to the root folder, not each
profile's My Documents folder as it used to.

How can I

1) Get Word to default to the My Documents folder for opening and saving
each user's documents?

2) Create a separate Normal.dot for each user?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Colleen wrote:
I recently had to delet all Normal.dot templates on my computer and
allow Word to recreate a new one.

Now the two user profiles on my computer share a single Normal.dot
template. Even worse, the Save option in Word defaults to the root
folder, not each profile's My Documents folder as it used to.

How can I

1) Get Word to default to the My Documents folder for opening and
saving each user's documents?

2) Create a separate Normal.dot for each user?

Log on as one user. First open Windows Explorer. Go to Tools Folder
Options View and select "Show hidden files and folders".

In Word, go to Tools Options File Locations. Select the Documents item,
click the Modify button, and choose the My Documents folder. (This is a
specific folder for this user.) Then select the User Templates item in the
File Locations dialog, click Modify, and choose the correct folder, which is

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Close Word and then reopen it to recreate Normal.dot for that user. Shut
down Word again.

Now log on as the other user, and repeat the whole procedure.

Finally, find the Normal.dot that was being shared. If it contains any
customizations, rename it as something else (for example, "bad Normal.dot").
You can use the Organizer to copy the customizations to the new Normal.dot
templates, then delete the file.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman