Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jauchart

Default How do I link graphics and tables?

I need to insert many charts and graphics into my dissertation, which is also
overloaded with footnotes. In order to avoid overloading the doc,
Suzanne S. Barnhill once advised me to:

3. Link graphics as much as possible and don't display them except when
absolutely necessary. On the View tab of Tools | Options, check the box for
"Picture placeholders" and clear the box for "Drawings." This will suppress
the display of all graphics.

Can I do the same with charts and tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Charts *are* graphics (that is, if you're talking about the charts created
using Microsoft Graph) and will be governed by the View Options settings.
Tables do add complexity to the document, but they usually don't cause a
problem unless they get very long. Especially to be avoided are long
single-row tables.

"Jauchart" wrote in message
I need to insert many charts and graphics into my dissertation, which is

also
overloaded with footnotes. In order to avoid overloading the doc,
Suzanne S. Barnhill once advised me to:

3. Link graphics as much as possible and don't display them except when
absolutely necessary. On the View tab of Tools | Options, check the box

for
"Picture placeholders" and clear the box for "Drawings." This will

suppress
the display of all graphics.

Can I do the same with charts and tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There's no way to link tables. And I don't think you can link charts,
either, unless they're created in Excel.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Charts *are* graphics (that is, if you're talking about the charts

created
using Microsoft Graph) and will be governed by the View Options

settings.
Tables do add complexity to the document, but they usually don't cause a
problem unless they get very long. Especially to be avoided are long
single-row tables.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jauchart" wrote in message
I need to insert many charts and graphics into my dissertation, which

is
also
overloaded with footnotes. In order to avoid overloading the doc,
Suzanne S. Barnhill once advised me to:

3. Link graphics as much as possible and don't display them except

when
absolutely necessary. On the View tab of Tools | Options, check the

box
for
"Picture placeholders" and clear the box for "Drawings." This will

suppress
the display of all graphics.

Can I do the same with charts and tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jauchart

OK, then how do I link the graphics?
The charts were created in Excel, then imported into a separate Word
document. Can I link them from either source?
Robert

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There's no way to link tables. And I don't think you can link charts,
either, unless they're created in Excel.

news

"Jauchart" wrote in message
I need to insert many charts and graphics into my dissertation, which

is
also
overloaded with footnotes. In order to avoid overloading the doc,
Suzanne S. Barnhill once advised me to:

3. Link graphics as much as possible and don't display them except

when
absolutely necessary. On the View tab of Tools | Options, check the

box
for
"Picture placeholders" and clear the box for "Drawings." This will
suppress
the display of all graphics.

Can I do the same with charts and tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I'm not really sure about this. You can paste them from Excel using Paste
Link, but I'm not sure whether that's a pure link or a link+embed technique.
If you bookmark them in the other Word document, you can certainly use an
IncludeText field to link to them there. In fact, you should be able to link
to them in Excel using IncludeText (in this case, a named range functions as
a bookmark).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There's no way to link tables. And I don't think you can link charts,
either, unless they're created in Excel.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Jauchart" wrote in message
I need to insert many charts and graphics into my dissertation,

which
is
also
overloaded with footnotes. In order to avoid overloading the doc,
Suzanne S. Barnhill once advised me to:

3. Link graphics as much as possible and don't display them except

when
absolutely necessary. On the View tab of Tools | Options, check

the
box
for
"Picture placeholders" and clear the box for "Drawings." This will
suppress
the display of all graphics.

Can I do the same with charts and tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jauchart

And how do I link the graphics?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There's no way to link tables. And I don't think you can link charts,
either, unless they're created in Excel.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jauchart" wrote in message
news Ok, but my question is, how do I link them, as you advised.

"Jauchart" wrote in message
I need to insert many charts and graphics into my dissertation,

which
is
also
overloaded with footnotes. In order to avoid overloading the doc,
Suzanne S. Barnhill once advised me to:

3. Link graphics as much as possible and don't display them except
when
absolutely necessary. On the View tab of Tools | Options, check

the
box
for
"Picture placeholders" and clear the box for "Drawings." This will
suppress
the display of all graphics.

Can I do the same with charts and tables?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When you insert them, in the Insert | Picture | From File dialog, click the
arrow beside Insert and choose Link to File. For drawings created within
Word there is no linking method except again, possibly, the IncludeText
field. But it's possible to get too carried away with linking. Keep in mind
that linking makes the file less portable.