Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

Default redaction

the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

What are you talking about?

If you're talking about tracking, it's exceedingly useful and important to
know exactly what was deleted so that a reviewer can assess the impact and
validity of the deletion.

If you're talking about something else, then perhaps you could be a bit more
specific so that others can know exactly what feature (and in what context)
you're talking about.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text
length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

What I am talking about is security, not really what the document looks like
or tracking which ough to be contained in gerneration data groups/versions of
the document.

Why are documents redacted - to remove evidence for publication whilst
retaining the original. The published document can be beutified without the
redacted text. To assist reader understand that content has been removed I
recommend the optional insertion of an indicator such as the text [REDACTED].

As to purpose, I refer you to the National Security Agency document ATTN:I333:
"Redacting with Confidence: How to Safely Publish Sanetized Reports
Converted From Word to PDF".

I apologise for anjy misunderstanding.

"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text
length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Whilst I accept you may have a point, the reason that redaction does it the
way it does is so that document structure is maintained.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text

length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=c90b1908-f5
a3-492b-9ecf-c658790a412c&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, he's talking about the redaction performed by Microsoft's Redaction
Add-in (for Word 2003 only). See

"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text
length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

Suzanne, Tony and Herb I rejoice that you are content with the product that
MS alleges is redaction.

It does not conform to NSA's 'Sanitized' view of redaction. I expect the
'redacted' data in the MS Add-in is accessible through value searches and
indexing thus not removed from the document and still avaialble to a keen
enquirer.

Although there is an add-in to 'remove hidden data'
there is no contiguous product build.

Is MS going to respond to the NSA model of 'redaction'?

Terence Freedman
The National Archives
London, England

"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text
length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Terence, I personally doubt that Microsoft will do anything more with
redaction than it has already done -- but as none of the people
replying in this newsgroup are Microsoft employees, we don't speak for
the company. In any case, I don't believe Suzanne's reply is an
expression of contentment or any other opinion of the current product.

You have done the right thing by posting your suggestion, and
Microsoft has pledged to read and consider posted suggestions. Until a
company representative replies one way or the other, none of us knows
what will become of the suggestion.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal text
length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text "[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I don't think I said I was content. I have never used the tool and can't
express content or otherwise

I'm not sure in what way you think the MS AddIn fails to conform - it does
not make the decisions; it is merely an aid in removing what the user
decides to remove, and, as far as I can tell, it is your suggestion which
does not conform to the referenced document. I did say, and do think, that
you have a good point but that is a separate issue.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"TerenceF" wrote in message
Suzanne, Tony and Herb I rejoice that you are content with the product

that
MS alleges is redaction.

It does not conform to NSA's 'Sanitized' view of redaction. I expect the
'redacted' data in the MS Add-in is accessible through value searches and
indexing thus not removed from the document and still avaialble to a keen
enquirer.

Although there is an add-in to 'remove hidden data'

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4ED-D43E-42CA-
BC7B-5446D34E5360&displaylang=en

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, he's talking about the redaction performed by Microsoft's Redaction
Add-in (for Word 2003 only). See

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...fd7-67c2-4b51-
8e87-65cc9f30f2ed&DisplayLang=en

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"TerenceF" wrote in message
the redaction process ought to leave no clue as to the origainal

text
length
but ought to indicate missing text by inserting the text

"[REDACTED]".

Block black-out fails to remove the text length clue.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=c90b1908-f5
a3-492b-9ecf-c658790a412c&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

Tony et al,

I overestimated the implications of the responses. I will wait for MS to
respond.

You may wish to review a discussion of Schneier on Security:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...sa_on_how.html.

Thank you for your feedback.

Terence Freedman

"TerenceF" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was not expressing satisfaction. I have never used the add-in (and have no
need for it). I was merely pointing out to Herb what it was, since he seemed
to be ignorant of it.

"TerenceF" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

I was indeed ignorant of the add-in. I mistakenly thought the gentleperson
was referring to the "track changes" feature. When deleting text in tracking
mode, I aggressively want to be able to see exactly what was deleted. As
TerenceF didn't mention any add-in, I had no idea that that's what he was
talking about, and assumed he must be talking about an actual built-in Word
feature.

If the goal is to replace sections of text with [REDACTED], I'm not at all
sure why any tool at all is needed. It'd be a fairly simple matter to format
text that requires redaction with a new style (e.g., name it Redacted Text),
then do a global find/replace where you match that style in the Find box,
and put [REDACTED] in the Replace box.

But, I'm fond of simple approaches that don't require add-ins, since most
add-ins I've used cause problems.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was not expressing satisfaction. I have never used the add-in (and have
no
need for it). I was merely pointing out to Herb what it was, since he
seemed
to be ignorant of it.

so
all may benefit.

"TerenceF" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

Herb,
I acknowledge your needs and they are different from mine and, seemingly,
from those of the NSA (you may wish to consider the earlier refeences to
'Sanitized').

If I redact a document I expect the original to be retained and a copy to be
made during the redaction process.
The process of redaction removes selected text at the behest of the redacter
and this is not a 'find/replace' edit. The text removed will actually be
removed. The Word Redaction add-in might be used to create the third version
of the document retaining the format and indicating what has been removed
should such a document be needed. Where textr is removed the indicatortext
'[REDACTED]' will warn the reader.

Leaving text in place but covered in pipes allows a reader to recover it
through the edit command 'find', even if the process is a little tedious, and
perhaps by changing the text to a light colour such as yellow to print
through the pipes. Similarly, a keyord index may reveal the piped-ouit text.
Leaving the length of text 'redacted' clear to the reader allows the reader
to make sokme guesses as to what has been removed.

The puipose of redactkion is remove the text and leave no clues as to its
contents else why bother?

One way to achieve the process is to
1 edit out the text to be redacted and insert the indicator '[REDACTED]'.
2 create a new document from the edited version, thus saving the original.
3 create a pdf version, watermarked for authentication.
4 publish the pdf.
Ideally a single process should effect this.

And for thopse who wish it, also save the Word Redacted version, and that
could be part of the same process.

Terence Freedman

"TerenceF" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

When you do a find/replace, I assure you, the text removed is indeed
actually removed--all anyone would see is [REDACTED]. (The only caveat is
not to use Word's Fast Save feature, since it can cause deleted text to
actually be retained. For the kinds of documents you're talking about,
however, I would expect for encryption to be used, so the Fast Save problem
would not be a factor.)

There are a variety of ways redaction might be implemented. Note that there
are businesses where the method employed in Microsoft's redaction add-in is
precisely what is wanted. Granted, it's not what you/NSA want, but it does
fill someone else's need.

Having said that, however, I would be surprised if a year from now precisely
what you seek has not been incorporated into a later redaction offering.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"TerenceF" wrote in message

The process of redaction removes selected text at the behest of the
redacter
and this is not a 'find/replace' edit. The text removed will actually be
removed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TerenceF

Herb

Thank you. I agree with both your sentiments.
I will be mindful of your reminder about fast saves.

The documents I am saving are open but contain closed information. Being
open they are not encrypted but the closed information is removed/redacted
before release.

Terence Freedman

"TerenceF" wrote in message

The process of redaction removes selected text at the behest of the
redacter
and this is not a 'find/replace' edit. The text removed will actually be
removed.

redaction add-in mdponce Microsoft Word Help 8 April 17th 06 06:58 PM
Programmatically redact a word document Pilotgod Microsoft Word Help 4 December 30th 05 02:07 PM
Redaction? Ellen Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 05 08:06 PM
can you redact old existing documents csa0307 Microsoft Word Help 2 October 11th 05 02:56 AM
Word2003 Redaction Add-in deebs Page Layout 2 August 24th 05 12:26 AM