Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sue p

Default Style templates and master documents

I have a large document that requires specific styling, etc. I therefore
created it as a master and subdocuments with its own style template. Trouble
is that every time I open it some of the headings have changed style and I
have to use the styles organiser to re-copy the styles from the appropriate
template over the document ones. Then the headings become properly formatted.
However, I keep finding headings and lists, etc that have lost their
formatting. These text sections are still labelled with the appropriate
style, but it has to be re-applied before the format appears correct.
I am using Word 2000 on XP machines, although the problem may have first
started to occur when I transferred the document (and template) onto a
machine using Word 2003. (I had to reapply all the styles from about a third
of the way in - it's a large document and I was very unhappy!)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't use them more than you need an answer to
your question. "Master Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a
"feature" that not only doesn't work but also destroys documents. The
consensus (with the limited exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering
advice on these newsgroups is that using the Master Document feature is a
good way to destroy your document. It can destroy parts of your document
that you are not even working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly
when he said that there are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are
corrupt and those that will be corrupt soon. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm for ideas on how
to salvage what you can. See
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc for
Steve Hudson's instructions if you are willing to follow them very
carefully.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"sue p" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?c3VlIHA=?=,

Did you actually use this "style template" to create both the master document
and all the sub-documents? Or did you simply copy the styles from this "style
template" to the individual files?

If the latter, then check all the files that "update style automatically" in
Tools/Templates and Addins is NOT activated.

I have a large document that requires specific styling, etc. I therefore
created it as a master and subdocuments with its own style template. Trouble
is that every time I open it some of the headings have changed style and I
have to use the styles organiser to re-copy the styles from the appropriate
template over the document ones. Then the headings become properly formatted.
However, I keep finding headings and lists, etc that have lost their
formatting. These text sections are still labelled with the appropriate
style, but it has to be re-applied before the format appears correct.
I am using Word 2000 on XP machines, although the problem may have first
started to occur when I transferred the document (and template) onto a
machine using Word 2003. (I had to reapply all the styles from about a third
of the way in - it's a large document and I was very unhappy!)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)