Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deanjr

Default record 16 contained too few data fields error on word 2003 from cs

I download data from paypal to a csv file.
I then have a standard word document to create address labels.

When I use the merge facility, if the CSV file is more than 16 lines long i
get the error message:

"Record 16 contained too few data fields"
I then hit the ok button and I get the same message for record 17 and so on,
until it hits the end of the file, but the records have all merged perfectly.

I know it is not a problem with the data, because if for example I take
record 1 from same file (which didnt error) and repeat it 17 times, as soon
as I hit record 16 the error starts again.

There is obviously a problem with mail merge but is there a fix???
I can obviously get round it by hitting enter until it gets to end of file
but if you have hundreds of records its a knightmare.

It only seems to happen with CSV files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RRR_News

I don't know if this is a similar problem, that happens when you try to import a
*.CSV file or Database list into the Outlook Express Address Book. If you create
the *.CSV file, using anything other than the OE AB wizard. You will need to add
an extra comma (,) to each line. You can easily do this by adding an extra blank
column/field at the end, in your database or spreadsheet program.

--
Have A Good Day
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Deanjr" wrote in message
I download data from paypal to a csv file.
I then have a standard word document to create address labels.

When I use the merge facility, if the CSV file is more than 16 lines long i
get the error message:

"Record 16 contained too few data fields"
I then hit the ok button and I get the same message for record 17 and so on,
until it hits the end of the file, but the records have all merged perfectly.

I know it is not a problem with the data, because if for example I take
record 1 from same file (which didnt error) and repeat it 17 times, as soon
as I hit record 16 the error starts again.

There is obviously a problem with mail merge but is there a fix???
I can obviously get round it by hitting enter until it gets to end of file
but if you have hundreds of records its a knightmare.

It only seems to happen with CSV files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deanjr

Default record 16 contained too few data fields error on word 2003 fro

mmm, what a pain!
looks like that is the problem.
I wanted a really automated process so it now means going to have to
manually alter the file every time to correct, the lines that dont have the
commas at the end.
Weird its always from line 16 onwards though. Might have to chat to paypal
and see if they know why their download program doesnt put a comma from that
point onwards

Thanks

Dean

"Deanjr" wrote in message
I download data from paypal to a csv file.
I then have a standard word document to create address labels.

When I use the merge facility, if the CSV file is more than 16 lines long i
get the error message:

"Record 16 contained too few data fields"
I then hit the ok button and I get the same message for record 17 and so on,
until it hits the end of the file, but the records have all merged perfectly.

I know it is not a problem with the data, because if for example I take
record 1 from same file (which didnt error) and repeat it 17 times, as soon
as I hit record 16 the error starts again.

There is obviously a problem with mail merge but is there a fix???
I can obviously get round it by hitting enter until it gets to end of file
but if you have hundreds of records its a knightmare.

It only seems to happen with CSV files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You could always convert the CSV file to a Word table - see
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm Word is much
happier with tables

"Deanjr" wrote in message
[...]

How do I create a Word form like corel WP merge documents? dlee_at_mmsgov Microsoft Word Help 2 October 8th 05 06:29 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
multiple docs, one data source kp Mailmerge 12 January 31st 05 04:41 PM