Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
The Mayor of Wright

Default Ccustomizing the output format of endnotes (references)?

I am trying to format the output format of endnotes and can't seem to find
any options to do this. I would like to customize both the reference and
citation into something different than the standard or the few options that
exist.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Because Word doesn't offer this feature. The *only* thing Word does
automatically that is specifically designed to help with citing references
is to place footnotes/endnotes and number and re-number them.

Word will not manipulate the text of references (change punctuation,
abbreviations, etc) to fit a particular bibliographic style for you, and it
is unlikely that MS will ever consider it profitable to incorporate these
features. To automatically format notes or a bibliography with the
information and punctuation appropriate to a particular bibliographic style,
search the web for information on bibliographic management software. The big
three (cross-platform) are EndNote, ReferenceManager, and ProCite, all
owned by the same company and about US$100 with student discount‹a web
search may turn up cheaper alternatives, as many people do not need the full
power of those three programs.

If I misunderstood your question, and you want to change the format of the
*numbers* that Word creates, be sure to state version and give a detailed
example of what you hope will happen.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

You can modify the endnot reference and endnote test styles. Click on Format
| Styles and Formatting | All Styles - if those do not show then use the spin
arrow to select Custom and check those two. You will then be able to modify
them. I hope this has been helpful to you.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"The Mayor of Wright" wrote:

I am trying to format the output format of endnotes and can't seem to find
any options to do this. I would like to customize both the reference and
citation into something different than the standard or the few options that
exist.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
The Mayor of Wright

Thanks Daiya ... that is helpful and unfortunately what I was afraid of. Is
there any way to show the reference as a [1] or (1)? instead of a superscript
i or 1?

Tim

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Because Word doesn't offer this feature. The *only* thing Word does
automatically that is specifically designed to help with citing references
is to place footnotes/endnotes and number and re-number them.

Word will not manipulate the text of references (change punctuation,
abbreviations, etc) to fit a particular bibliographic style for you, and it
is unlikely that MS will ever consider it profitable to incorporate these
features. To automatically format notes or a bibliography with the
information and punctuation appropriate to a particular bibliographic style,
search the web for information on bibliographic management software. The big
three (cross-platform) are EndNote, ReferenceManager, and ProCite, all
owned by the same company and about US$100 with student discount€¹a web