Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Saratoga

Default Add section break before every Heading 1

In order to force footnotes to begin renumbering, I want to automatically put
a section break before every heading with Heading 1 style.

A style can have a 'page break before' but not a 'section break before'. I
thought I could set 'page break before' and then do a find-and-replace,
replacing every page break with a section break. But that fails for two
reasons. You can't search on these automatic page breaks, and even if you
could, you can't put 'section break' in a replace field.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can actually use a section break as the replacement text if you (a)
select and copy a section break formatted as desired (that is, Next Page,
Odd Page, etc.), and (b) use ^c (Clipboard contents) in the "Replace with"
box.

"John in Saratoga" wrote in
message ...
In order to force footnotes to begin renumbering, I want to automatically

put
a section break before every heading with Heading 1 style.

A style can have a 'page break before' but not a 'section break before'. I
thought I could set 'page break before' and then do a find-and-replace,
replacing every page break with a section break. But that fails for two
reasons. You can't search on these automatic page breaks, and even if you
could, you can't put 'section break' in a replace field.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Saratoga

Well that's useful to know. Thanks Suzanne!

I still can't Find the auto page break that comes before my Heading 1. And
if I Find-and-Replace on the style Heading 1, the text itself gets replaced
(as I'd expect) with my clipboard contents.

Is there some special character that can go in the Replace box that means
'whatever text was found during the Find.' Then I could put '^c' followed by
this special character, and I'd be there.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Yes, the code ^& represents the text that was found. So the
replacement expression you want is ^&^c .

All these codes are listed in the dialog. Click the More button to
expand the dialog, and then click the Special button at the bottom.
The list is different depending on whether the cursor was in the Find
What box or the Replace With box just before you click the Special
button. The ^& code is only on the Replace With list, identified as
"Find What Text".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Saratoga

I looked at that Special list several times. I don't know why I didn't notice
"Find what text". This all lets me do what I need. Thanks Suzanne and Jay.

Now if I can find a way to stick it all in a macro, I'll be in great shape.
(I need to do this frequently.)

In a macro, I'd have to put the section break in the clipboard. Hmmm. Don't
know how to do that. Or maybe better would be some kind of loop on Find,
MoveLeft, and InsertBreak. I need to learn how to loop on Finds.