Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Moonraker

Default selecting text in word

Hi,

In word 2000, when I select text with the mouse left click, and drag down,
the page whizzes up so fast that I end up selecting three pages worth when I
just want two lines, I seem to remember a time when I could nudge the bottom
of the page and control the speed slow or faster.

Any ideas!!

Second, really annoying this one!!, When I hit enter twice in quick
succession, to leave two spaces between, the line above the curser (the
last line with text on), changes it's text size for a larger text and moves
down one line, I have to hit backspace to correct this unwanted amendment.

Any ideas on this one.

Any insight would be gratefully received.

Cheers Steve.

P.S Is there a home for badly beaten keyboards.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Moonraker wrote:
Hi,

In word 2000, when I select text with the mouse left click, and drag
down, the page whizzes up so fast that I end up selecting three pages
worth when I just want two lines, I seem to remember a time when I
could nudge the bottom of the page and control the speed slow or
faster.

Any ideas!!

In every version of Word except 2003 (and maybe 2002, but I don't remember),
dragging below the bottom of the window caused scrolling that's too fast to
catch. The alternative is to click once at the beginning, use the scroll bar
(or mouse wheel if you have one) to scroll without moving the insertion
point, and hold the Shift key while you click at the end. Or hold Shift
while you use the arrow and Page Down keys; or press F8 or double-click the
letters EXT on the status bar to turn on Extend mode, and then use the arrow
and Page Down keys.

Second, really annoying this one!!, When I hit enter twice in quick
succession, to leave two spaces between, the line above the curser
(the last line with text on), changes it's text size for a larger
text and moves down one line, I have to hit backspace to correct this
unwanted amendment.

Any ideas on this one.

The best way is not to use two paragraph marks at all. Instead, set the
paragraph style to have an appropriate Space After value.

If you can't train yourself out of it, though, you can stop the behavior you
described. Word is autoformatting your text because it thinks it's a
heading. Go to Tools AutoCorrect Options Format As You Type and uncheck
"Built-in heading styles". While you're there, you can profitable uncheck
everything else with the possible exceptions of "Smart quotes" and "Internet
and network paths". See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm for more.

Any insight would be gratefully received.

Cheers Steve.

P.S Is there a home for badly beaten keyboards.

They make decent doorstops, but they're too light for boat anchors. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

I'm not sure whether Word 95 and earlier really didn't scroll too
fast, or if it was just that the computers of the time were too slow
(and Word too CPU-hungry) to zip down to the end of the file in a
quarter second. :-)

Moonraker wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I upgraded from Word 95 to 97 on the same computer and noticed the change,
so I think it was actually a change in behavior.

wrote:

Actually, it was still okay up to about Word 95, was broken in 97 and

2000
and then fixed again in 2002.

so
all may benefit.

[...]