Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Multiple document header/footer management

Hi all,
I've seen similar questions posted ealier (2002), so I'm not sure of
what is currently available...

I am about to direct a number of Word documents (~200 in total) in
various revisions and want to easily manage those documents. I also
have plans to use a revision control system (subversion, although this
won't help with merging changes in Word). Here's what I'm after:
1) The ability to easily update all of those files whenever something
at the "corporate" level changes (e.g. to update headers, or some part
of headers, on all files)
2) The ability to have the above work easily on multiple computers
(e.g. for styles, that an attached/global template can be referenced
through a relative path - although this doesn't look likely right now).
This includes a simple way to start a new doc.

As a software developer, I'm used to working with tools where you
control what is "specified elsewhere" vs something "specified here". It
doesn't appear there are many options of the former type in Word but
that is basically what I am after.

Frankly, I'm surprised that I haven't found anything to help with this
stuff already. Seems like it would be a common concern for some
organizations. I suspect I will need piecemeal solutions (i.e. using
global automatic templates for styles and VB for some of the other
things).

Any help (specifically advice from others who have faced similar
problems) would be appreciated!
-rob