Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Marsh Feldman

Default Pictures and Formatting from Excel to Word to Frontpage

I am using Office to set up the schedules for my classes. First I use Excel
to make the schedule. The entry for each class meeting day consists of an
identifying row followed by several rows devoted to assignments. The
identifying row has the meeting number, date, and topic, with the topic
spanning four columns. Each assignment, typically a reading assignment, uses
the first two columns for notations, the third and fourth for lecture
assignments, and the fifth and sixth for computer-lab assignments. Each
individual assignment entry has a written description of the assignment in
column three or five and a picture indicating where to find the assignment
(library, textbook, web, etc.) in column four or six. I insert the pictures
with either Insert Picture or by cutting & pasting pictures already in the
file.

Once the schedule is completed, I want to insert it into a Word docuument,
and that's when my troubles begin. I've tried all the options to insert it
(Insert Object, Cut and Paste, Put and Paste Special -- with all Paste
Special options). The best I can do is Cut and Paste, which creates a table
in Word. First, columns that are equal width in Excel are unequal widths in
Word. I can't easily resize them because of the rows that span multiple
columns. Second, the pictures that were inserted into cells in Excel are now
outside the cells and in front of text in the cell to the right.

The problems do not stop there, although I can only get past the problems in
Word with great difficulty and lots of tedium. Once the Word document is
corrected, I create a pdf file -- so far there have been no problems here. I
also create a html file for the class web site -- this has lots of problems.
Essentially, everything that was wrong and corrected in the Word document is
wrong again in the html document. Thinking that Office is an integrated suite
(silly me), I tried using FrontPage to edit the html. Once again, no matter
how I do it, the pictures are out of place and the column widths are wrong.