Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tracy

Default Can't Print an online form using tables, it freezes

I created a 28-page online form using Word. When the user enters data in the
form, it can become as large as a 2 meg file. When the user wants to print
it, it freezes with a message in the status bar at the bottom that says 'Word
is printing background'. I've gone into Tools, Options, Print and deselected
the print background option, but it still happens. The form was created in
Word 2003, but some users may be entering data in the form using Word 2K.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dawn Crosier

How did you create the fields that the users type into? Did you use
Form Fields located on the Forms toolbar, or did you create the fields
using the ActiveX controls located on the Control Toolbox toolbar? If
the latter, then that is most likely your problem. They are very
"heavy" in your form almost as though you have quite a few big
graphics all over your form.

Please let us know how you created the form so we can advise regarding
the best solution.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"Tracy" wrote in message
I created a 28-page online form using Word. When the user enters data
in the
form, it can become as large as a 2 meg file. When the user wants to
print
it, it freezes with a message in the status bar at the bottom that
says 'Word
is printing background'. I've gone into Tools, Options, Print and
deselected
the print background option, but it still happens. The form was
created in
Word 2003, but some users may be entering data in the form using
Word 2K.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dawn Crosier

Tracy -

Do the tables resize themselves to content? If they do, you might try
locking them down to see if that helps.

Granted, I have not ever created a form that large, I think my users
would strangle me, so it could just be the way a 28 page document with
both a Table and Form Fields is going to work.

You might try having the users print only the Form data (Tools,
Options, Print) and see if it continues to lock up.

Another option is to break the form into several sections, and then
have the users print a section at a time. If you find that printing
section by section works, you could automate that process. (Ask for
help in the public.word.vba.beginners group if you need it)